Thread: Why Windows Server 2003

Unhappy Why Windows Server 2003

I came across Zimbra because it is the only Microsoft alternative that supports Blackberry.

Our current situation: Windows Server 2000, Exchange 5.5. 2nd server: Windows Server 2000 + Blackberry Enterprise Server.

I want to get rid of the first server with exchange, but in the installation manual for the blackberry connector I found out that Windows Server 2003 is a minimum requirement.

This leads to the awkward situation that I would have to buy a Win 2003 server - which something I did not want and because of that I want to migrate to Zimbra.

The Java Application for the Blackberry Curve is not as user friendly as the Blackberry device itself, especially calender views, no notes, no tasks...

Is anyone successfully running the Blackberry connector in Windows 2000 Server?

Zimbra, please put this information on the marketing pages also, not only in the installation document that in only available after registration...

regards,
    Bernhard

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by krabina View Post
    Zimbra, please put this information on the marketing pages also, not only in the installation document that in only available after registration...
    A Windows 2003 server is a requirement of BES, Zimbra provides the Connector for that environment. Documents are available all over the Zimbra web site and forums that explain the requirements, there's a search function on the top right of the main page. The first entry get's you this document: http://files.zimbra.com/downloads/be...-5.0.beta2.pdf. The requirements for the BES Connector is for a Windows 2003 server, Windows 2000 will not work and is not supported.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Blackberry definitely supports Windows 2000 Server: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service...change_pdf.pdf

It's a pitty that Zimbra does not as probably many users would like to migrate to Zimbra avoiding MS 2003 and later...

- Bernhard

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Blackberry definitely supports Windows 2000 Server: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service...change_pdf.pdf
    I didn't say that Windows 2000 wasn't supported for the BES.

It's a pitty that Zimbra does not as probably many users would like to migrate to Zimbra avoiding MS 2003 and later...
    Windows 2000 Server is already in Extendex Support and will be EOL in about twenty months: Windows 2000 Lifecycle and Windows 2003 Server will be around for slightly longer: Windows 2003 Lifecycle. Which one do you think makes most sense to support, a product at end-of-life or one that has a seven year lifespan ahead of it?

It doesn't really make much difference as this is a moot point, Windows 2003 Server is the supported platform and that's not likely to change.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.