Thread: Local Failure Notice on BB: File download HTTP error.

Hybrid View

Question Local Failure Notice on BB: File download HTTP error.

I was just notified about a VIP user who frequently receives Local Failure Notices (LFN) on his BlackBerry device. Of course it's been going on for awhile (at least since July 28th, possibly earlier), but I learned of it today. He had about 24 of them in one recent day, for instance.

Each LFN contains the same kind of data:
    Sync Type: Delta Sync
    Sync Token: 260287
    Store: Zimbra - UserName
    Computer Name: BESSERVERNAME
    Version: 5.0.2711.18
    Error IDs:
    93755 : File download HTTP error. Error code: 404

There is an attached sync_response.xml file to each email, but I'm not sure how to interpret it. If I could send it to someone here, but not post it publicly, I'd be happy to do so. I searched for entries in the various Blackberry logs on the ZCB server for his account, but didn't see anything alarming (to me).

What file is the system attempting to download? Where should I look to determine that? Most of these notices come in the daytime/evening hours (i.e., not often overnight.)

One xml file I looked at seemed to reference some sub-sub-email folders, but when I administratively look at his email account in webmail, I see the messages in there seem to be from 2008 and therefore I don't think he was trying to do anything with it in the last few days, thus I am puzzled about the error

I didn't have the luxury of speaking with the user, just got to look at the device for a few minutes to see if I could figure it out, so I don't know if the notices occur when another action is being done, such as making a change to an appointment.

I have a BB device myself, and do not get these messages.

We use BPS 4.1.4 + ZCB 5.0.18.

Thanks in advance!
    Brandi

Local failures can be turned off. Please check out the following registry key on BES machine HKLM\Software\Zimbra\turnOffInboxFailures. Key value set to '1' will instruct connector to stop propagating local failures to the inbox on device.

This particular local failure (mentioned in orginal message) occured at the time of delta sync when zcb requested email messages from zimbra server. Is BES machine connected to LAN through proxy server? If so, connecting directly(without proxy) could solve this issue. (Internet Options->Connections->LAN settings)

Also I have a suspicion that re-adding user in BB manager as well as re-activating device could solve this issue. If not, please file support case (support@zimbra.com) along with:

- local failure with attachments
    - MAGT + zcb log + mailbox.log files covering period of time when local failure arrived to device

Thanks for the response.

We have no proxy. I will try deleting and re-adding the user this afternoon and report back.

FYI to anyone interested in this, I haven't forgotten to update, but the user wound up not getting email at all over the weekend on the device, so a tech looked at that yesterday and now we are waiting a few days again to see if Local Failure Notices come in droves again or not. The fact that the device had trouble, for whatever reason, receiving mail is kind of superceding the issue of whether he gets LFN's or not. I deleted and re-added him to the BES server about 6 days ago, just don't have anything conclusive yet. :-)

Okay, so I'm still dealing with the fact that this user doesn't get emails delivered to the device as he should, before the LFNs can get resolved (and maybe the LFNs will go away if I can get mail to be delivered anyway).

The plot thickens:
    I now have two users whose BBs are not receiving emails. Their profile in Outlook on the Blackberry Professional server with ZCB installed does receive the emails fine. They just don't go to the device. The thing that these two users have in common is that they both were activated after I upgraded the ZCB from beta 3 to GA (5.0.18). They have different models (Curve 8830 and a Touch) and different carriers (T-mobile & VZW). People like myself, who've been activated long before the upgrade, experience no problems, or at least have not reported it to me. When I restarted the Blackberry Controller service so I could go look in Outlook, that triggered the emails to be delivered to them.

One user I believe has been having this trouble since he was activated, but it's hard for me to get information from him because he's out of town. The other users' issues started last weekend after our main Zimbra servers were updated from 5.0.15 to 5.0.18. He could only get his device to retrieve emails (and I think calendar appts) after sending himself an email and replying to it. Simply doing a "Reconcile now" did not work.

Which log would show where this hoarding of emails is occuring? And why would it occur just for two users?

Here are simple steps to troubleshoot 'email is not syncing on particular device' problem:

- send test message to BB user that carries device in question
    - open up BES log file with 'MAGT' component in the name
    - look for 'Queuing new mail through notification' message in above log confirming that it was delivered to BES mailstore
    - If above log message is found then it indicates that email message in question was delivered into the store and BB agent was notified about it, however agent failed to deliver it over to device. This indicates that the issue is most likely is on the RIM's side - i would try to investigate DISP, POLC, ROUT, SYNC for any obvious failures.
    - if above log message is absent in MAGT log then it may indicate that connector failed to sync this message from zimbra server. In this case the first thing i would try to do is stopping BB controller and trying to repair corresponding zdb file (representing user in question) using scanPST utility. In addition, zcb log files maybe also be helpful in this case. Please use this link describing procedure on how to enable zcb logs: ZCB and BES Logs - BlackBerry - Zimbra :: Wiki

If nothing helps, please open support case(support@zimbra.com) and submit:

- time when test message was sent
    - MAGT + zcb logs covering above time

Deleting and re-adding the user with the Local Failure Notices did not clear up the problem. I'm hesitant to turn the notices off via registry key until i have an idea of what's causing the problem.

I opened a ticket with Zimbra Support. If I learn something conclusive, I'll update here later.

I didn't learn anything conclusive, as we never did pinpoint the exact problem for this user's "File download HTTP error. Error code: 404" occurrence. He has IMAP mail on Apple mail on his desk, and there was a thought that it had something to do with the Sent Messages folder, but stopping all the sent-related messages from syncing on the BB device didn't help either. Since a lot of time has passed, and the user still gets quite a few of these, I decided to just go ahead and disable the sending of notifications to the device, using the registry key mentioned above. I don't like not understanding the cause, and that does affect all BB users, but it's more important to me in this particular case to just stop annoying the user. As far as we know, his mail is syncing correctly, at least, nothing major has been missing that's caused him to squawk. :-)

I don't want to mark this "solved" but perhaps "closed" is more appropriate.