Thread: Blackberry server setup

Hybrid View

Default Blackberry server setup

Just trying to setup my small company with blackberry support and the zimbra service.

We have a small windows server that we rent from godaddy, it came with plesk.

I've updated all the patches on the OS via windows update -Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Web Edition Service Pack 2

I installed Microsoft CDO 1.2.1

Then I installed 4.1 BB Server software. It prompted me to reboot, which I did.

Final step in the process said it tried to start the BB server, but failed. Had the following messages

BlackBerry Controller has failed to start due to The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion. BlackBerry Router has failed to start due to The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion. BlackBerry Dispatcher has failed to start due to The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion. BlackBerry MDS Connection Service has successfully started. BlackBerry Policy Service has failed to start due to The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion. BlackBerry Attachment Service has successfully started. BlackBerry Synchronization Service has failed to start due to The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

I then installed the ZCS Connector for Blackberry and followed the guide as well.

Rebooted one more time and still nothing. BB Server just doesnt seem to start, so what am I missing? Sorry I'm so new to blackberry land I dont really know enough about it.

If I look at the services, I see the following started: BlackBerry MDS Connection Service, that is it, the rest say automatic, but are not started.

If I look in the event viewer, I see the following errors:

<2009-09-10 12:51:02.937 GMT-05:00>:[30]:<MDS-CS_POKYBB_MDS-CS_1>:<ERROR>:<LAYER = SCM, LifecycleException: Protocol handler initialization failed: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind:8080> <2009-09-10 12:51:02.937 GMT-05:00>:[30]:<MDS-CS_POKYBB_MDS-CS_1>:<ERROR>:<LAYER = SCM, at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initialize (Connector.java:1018)> <2009-09-10 12:51:02.937 GMT-05:00>:[30]:<MDS-CS_POKYBB_MDS-CS_1>:<ERROR>:<LAYER = SCM, at org.apache.catalina.startup.Embedded.start(Embedde d.java:826)> <2009-09-10 12:51:02.937 GMT-05:00>:[30]:<MDS-CS_POKYBB_MDS-CS_1>:<ERROR>:<LAYER = SCM, at net.rim.application.ipproxyservice.TomcatThread.st artTomcat(TomcatThread.java:807)> <2009-09-10 12:51:02.937 GMT-05:00>:[30]:<MDS-CS_POKYBB_MDS-CS_1>:<ERROR>:<LAYER = SCM, at net.rim.application.ipproxyservice.TomcatThread.ru n(TomcatThread.java:510)>

and

The BlackBerry Dispatcher service depends on the following nonexistent service: LanmanWorkstation

I appreciate any help or tips in getting this going, and let me know if you need any other log files or information to help troubleshoot.

It looks like the problem is BES install related. Under normal circumstances, all BB related services have to be capable to start even before ZCB is installed.

As mentioned on the cross refernced forum, it is very likely that the usage of unsupported OS may cause it. The first thing to try is to install Windows Server 2003 (Standard or Enterprise Edition) instead Web Edition.

I too was having the exact same issue. Found out web edition is not supported so my company switched to the standard version.

I'm still getting the same issues that Phingers is talking about even with the supported OS. I'm unable to start the bb services (error 1075). Any help / info would be greatly appreciated.

'BlackBerry Dispatcher' service depends on the following list of services, meaning that services below have to be atleast registered on offending machine for 'BlackBerry Dispatcher' to be able to start:

- Event Log
    - NT LM Security Support Provider
    - Workstation

Do you see all of these services present(registered) in 'Services' panel?

If not, then there might be a problem with OS installation.

I see event log in services, but I do not see NT LM Security Support Provider or Workstation, how do those get installed?

I was able to get those services to run however when installing the ZCB I get the following error

The installer was interrupted before ZCS Connector for BES SMB could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again. Click "Close" to exit

What is making this install fail? Any help would be great!

phingers, 2 services in question are installed as a part of Windows 2003 Server installation. The fact that you don't see those services indicates that there was some failure during OS install. Please find a couple of pertinent articles below( i found them by doing google search in a couple of mins) that maybe helpful to resolve this:

Everything is Possible: Re-installing the Workstation Service

workstation service is absent

jrsprice, please execute the following command and post back installation log file(log.txt) to troubleshoot further:

msiexec /i "zcb msi name" /l*v log.txt

Thanks for the reply,

I checked out everything, BES is up and running correctly, services are all running correctly.

The only thing I can think of is the SSL issue on our ZCS. I don't think it matches with the address and port.

Now the issue I run into is not being able to activate my bb storm to BES. I upgraded my data plan with Verizon to the 45 dollar one in order to have this feature. Tried adding myself manually, and ended up with the "initialize" status that doesn't go away. Also tried to add a device and device not found etc. From the device, it will say activating retrying activation, recursively. I get the activation email etc... No connection.

Now, when ZCB is installed and connected, it should sync the contacts from the ZCS ? Meaning, blackberry manager on BES should permit me to search and find existing users from the ZCS right?

I'm thinking the ssl problem since the zcb log shows:

Zimbra::Rpc::Connection::IsSSLError. [12029] is not an SSL mismatch code.

Please check the following thread on how to enable SSL on zimbra server

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimbra-...l-trouble.html

The following is a wiki page describing command:

CLI zmtlsctl to set Web Server Mode - Zimbra :: Wiki

Please execute 'zmtlsctl https' and see if that helps.