Thread: Support for BlackBerry Messenger

Default Support for BlackBerry Messenger

What has to be done to support the IM chat function on the blackberry devices? I think the BlackBerry Messenger should be able to act as a client for the Zimbra IM service (aka Jive Jabber server).

Blackberry Messenger (BBM) is not compatible with your own or Zimbra's XMPP service. BBM works only with the RIMM cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by centrex View Post
    Blackberry Messenger (BBM) is not compatible with your own or Zimbra's XMPP service. BBM works only with the RIMM cloud.
    OK, I understand that there are technical differences in the IM protocol. WHat has to be done to use Zimbra's IM on the BlackBerry. Are there recommended XMPP clients for the devices? Would this work over the BlackBerry MDS service?

Zimbra's IM client is built into Zimbra; it's not going to run on your Blackberry.

Do you mean "What IM service can I run which can be connected to both by the Blackberry and the Zimbra Client?"?

(No, I misread your posting: you're *specifically* looking for a Jabber client for the BB. Beejive will do that.)

<s>All of them; if you don't already have a native client for AIM, YMSG, or MSN on your BB cause a) it's too old, or b) your carrier is a PITA, then look at Beejive.</s>
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

I think they are talking about the integration with "enterprise IM" feature in the BES services. The BES has some level of integration with Microsoft Office Communicator for sure. To answer the question.. I have no idea what it would take and haven't seen it anywhere.

Default Commercial XMPP Client for BlackBerry/Jabber

There are several commercial XMPP clients for BlackBerry that you can use to connect to any standards compliant XMPP server.

However, I believe only the client available at Vayusphere Jabber/XMPP Instant Messaging Client for BlackBerry is able to leverage the BES infastructure and does not require the use of a 3rd party proxy ( which may be a security issue for some users)

BlackBerry provides an enterprise IM proxy but that is only for the IBM, Microsoft and Novell messengers.