Thread: Blackberry email, works on one account, not on another?

Default Blackberry email, works on one account, not on another?

I'm really sorry if this a repeat or a stupid question.....but here goes....

I work in Birmingham, UK, and the education dept has set all schools up with Zimbra as the email and calendar provider.
    My current school account was set up on the BB over 8 months ago, and has worked perfectly since then.

I set this account up by following the email set up on the BB, this needed further info, so I set the account to POP3, set the mail server to mail.myvle.org and used the correct user name and password.

This worked a treat, I have been able to send, receive and synch the zimbra account with the BB.

However, I am moving to a new school in January, and they have set me up on the zimbra account at the new school. So I tried the same method of setting up on the BB, but each time it is unable to connect, saying that it is not able to log in to the account/server.
    Interestingly the BB server does send an email to the zimbra account, and is received on the account when I log into the zimbra on my Mac.
    But, and this is the annoying part, I am totally unable to set up the account.

I have tried to delete the current zimbra email account and try the new one, still no joy. Then I reset up the existing account and it worked perfectly.

The email address and user names are very simliar and I have set the same password for both. Would this cause any form of conflict?
    After calling the local education authority tech support, they said I should keep trying as it is a "trial and error" process! Great support.

So, I turn to this forum in the hope that anyone can help me!

Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by wynne71 View Post

However, I am moving to a new school in January, and they have set me up on the zimbra account at the new school. So I tried the same method of setting up on the BB, but each time it is unable to connect, saying that it is not able to log in to the account/server.
    If they don't allow POP3 (It's configurable), then you won't be able to login. You'll need to contact the School Administrator to find out what is supported.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

That's just what I don't get. The new address is with the same set up as the current. It is even the same authority.
    I called the tech support for the education dept and their line was "its a bit hit and miss, some work, some don't"!!
    So in my mind, if one address works, the other should as all are set up and generated in the same way.
    Annoying.
    They did say that the current zimbra system doesn't have the mobile add on facility, that is coming later. But if it doesn't support mobile, such as BB and iPhone, why does it work now?!

Any other ideas folks? Its driving me mad.

It was suggested I log into zimbra with my BB browser, and set the zimbra to mobile, but this defeats the whole point of having a BB.

Cheers.

Matthew

Oh, and it is POP3 as an email system.

Quote Originally Posted by wynne71 View Post
    Oh, and it is POP3 as an email system.
    BlackBerry's are a beast unto their own. I've only recently setup 1 BB to our Zimbra server (In the middle of migrating over from the old server). I've got on my to-do list, setting up a Blackberry Enterprise server for syncing. The 1 BB worked fine, but set it up as an IMAP client, not pop3.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Quote Originally Posted by lytledd View Post
    BlackBerry's are a beast unto their own. I've only recently setup 1 BB to our Zimbra server (In the middle of migrating over from the old server). I've got on my to-do list, setting up a Blackberry Enterprise server for syncing. The 1 BB worked fine, but set it up as an IMAP client, not pop3.

Doug
    Thanks for the reply.
    You are very right about BBs, very much a world of their own!
    It just baffles me how the same provider, using the same settings but with two slightly different accounts can work on one and not on the other?
    I have used the correct settings on both accounts. I have checked the setting on the Zimbra web page, checking preferences.

I will keep trying, but it isn't looking good!