Thread: [SOLVED] Unable to add users into blackberry enterprise server express

Question [SOLVED] Unable to add users into blackberry enterprise server express

Hi everyone.

I am setting up a zimbra environment for testing, and im trying to get the blackberry stuff working.

So far I have the following setup.

- 2 Zimbra servers (6.0.8) at different sites (1 at head office, and 1 at a branch)
    - These zimbra servers are named ho-zimbra.ho.betterequine.com.au, and oakmill-zimbra.oml.betterequine.com.au
    - At head office, I have setup a windows 2008r2 server and installed outlook 2007 SP2, zimbra blackberry connector 6.5, and the blackberry enterprise server express 5.0.2
    - The outlook profiles were setup using the admin@ho-zimbra.ho.betterequine.com.au account
    - The 2008 server also has active directory installed with the domain ho.betterequine.com.au
    - All the email accounts in zimbra are installed under the betterequine.com.au domain.

I have followed the instructions outlined in the document for the blackberry connector, and i do believe it is talking to the zimbra server since there are entries in the mailbox.log which have the ip address of the blackberry server

EG.

2010-10-15 13:30:54,978 INFO [btpool0-42://ho-zimbra.ho.betterequine.com.au:7071/service/admin/soap//AdminWaitSetRequest] [name=admin@ho-zimbra.ho.betterequine.com.au;mid=2;ip=192.0.1.233 ;ua=ZimbraConnectorForBES/6.5.5391.0;] soap - AdminWaitSetRequest

The problem I have at the moment is the only account that the blackberry server is able to find is admin@ho-zimbra.ho.betterequine.com.au

when I try to search for any other account in the betterequine.com.au domain, it returns the error The BlackBerry Administration Service cannot find the records you were looking for. Verify the search criteria you specified and try again. I have tried adding an account in the ho-zimbra.ho.betterequine.com.au domain, and the same error appears.

Does anyone know where I am going wrong.

Red face UPDATE: I am able to add another user, sort of.

After a few hours of adding a user into the ho-zimbra.ho.betterequine.com.au domain on the zimbra server, I'm able to add them into the blackberry enterprise server.

However, I would like to add users in the betterequine.com.au domain into the blackberry server. This still fails with the black berry server saying it cant find them.

It sounds like the problem is that admin user can see GAL entrys only from particular domain and not from other domains. You may need to set 'zimbraGalInternalSearchBase' to ROOT for the domain where admin user resides. See links below. Please contact support@zimbra.com if you'll have further problems with this.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...2-domains.html

Ajcody-Notes-ServerGAL - Zimbra :: Wiki

Talking Working!

That solution worked like a charm.

Thank you very much!

Default Besx

Installing BesX took a couple of hours and was quite easy, although the download email ended up in my spam - why can't you download straight off the page? I could also gladly live without having to configure the user accounts and directories again, as this was really quite tricky, and I'm an experienced email admin. But other than that Express is easy to install. It offers loads of the same security, management, and push technologies that you get in full BlackBerry Enterprise Server, which makes it a great deal if you have an existing Microsoft server. Using a web-based GUI makes a nice change, and doesn't seem to reduce the effectiveness. And I liked being able to select a policy from BlackBerry's list.

I have also setup BESx on server 2008.
    I can search and find users from the GAL, but when the user is sent the email to activate, they receive it but his/her blackberry just sits at activating.
    Any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by shua View Post
    I have also setup BESx on server 2008.
    I can search and find users from the GAL, but when the user is sent the email to activate, they receive it but his/her blackberry just sits at activating.
    Any ideas ?
    I seem to have the same problem now. The user get's the ETP message when she activates her BB. Her SIM card is BES provisioned by the cellular network provider.

The ETP email is received and then disappears. On her handset we can see

Contacting server...
    Verifying encryption...
    Encryption verified.
    Waiting for services...

Then it sits there "forever" with no progress.

Default Absolutely the worst...

Trying to get BES Express 5.0 to work. I have spoken on the PHONE with:

- Support tech Zimbra..4-6 hours on phone, no resolution (John was very helpful, but had no experience with BES Express install and had to pass me along.)
    - Blackberry - 5-6 hours no resolution.
    - Got an email from Zimbra with steps and then he just disappears after we spend 2-3 hours re-installing BES on two servers..as that is what we were told. Put AD on one server and BES on another. (Nikhill) THEN we were told NOT to do this.

After some noise they assigned another tech...

- Another Zimbra Developer 2-3 hours and AGAIN he just dropped us, i have not heard from him in 2 days. (Angad)

- Original support request sent Nov 3rd and now Nov 12th, still no contact from last Zimbra support person, or resolution..I guess he is traveling and did not push our ticket to someone else.

- Installed variations of windows about 5-7 times...lost count. I have now gone outside of Zimbra for support for one last chance to make it work. I contacted the guy who ended up installing BES 4.x for us a few years back who got it to work.

THE WORST SUPPORT I'VE experience in 5 years.. (been doing this for 10)

TIPS for Zimbra:

1. Don't release anything unless it works.
    2. Actually support your partners.
    3. Train your tech's
    4. Communicate consistently and CARE about your partners.

Zimbra seems to have a problem with basic communication...could be Zimbra or Vmware..not sure.

Totals damage:
    Me 20-25+ hours
    My Tech 7-9 hours minimum
    $249 for Blackberry support
    $300 for general support
    $2-300 on current outside person...and counting.

Default Holy ********

Spent Hours and days getting this to work. BB will not help the moment they here Zimbra. Zimbra acts like its not there problem. Total Disgust.

After hours of setting this up, Yes i got it working with multiple domains. The multiple domains was accomplished with the post above. Thank You

But, nothing activated. It sat there with "Connecting to server" and died.

Finally Found, In Zimbra Admin Console the account MUST MUST MUST have the "Company" field filled out in order for activation to work.

Once that field was filled in, everything activated fine.

I hope this helps at least one poor guy out there.

The Blackberry Export Support Center https://besc.webapps.blackberry.com/besc/dashboard/ is really helpful to verify the blackbery device is ready to go and your blackberry server is connected.

I loggd an Urgent suppot call to zimbra regarding this, and they contacted me straight away. It was fixed in a matter of hours.
    My issue was that the BES server was unable to open the MAPI profiles, and they needed to be re-created. This can apparently happen after a windows / office update. It replaces files that th BES connector uses. The BES connector had to be repaire, MAPI profiles re-created, and then updates disabled.
    The product works seemlessly again now for me.
    Although i do find I have to manually set the user activation password rather than having the system email an activation e-mail to the user.