Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obtaining Outlook 2007

Default Obtaining Outlook 2007

We're having a hard time finding a place to purchase a stand-alone MS Outlook 2007 license.
    I remember seeing this available before, but apparently with the release of Office 2010, you can no longer purchase stand-alone Outlook 2007 through normal retail channels.
    Does anybody know if Outlook 2010 will work? If not, maybe somebody could post some links to some options for purchasing stand-alone Outlook 2007.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jr40505 View Post
    We're having a hard time finding a place to purchase a stand-alone MS Outlook 2007 license.
    I remember seeing this available before, but apparently with the release of Office 2010, you can no longer purchase stand-alone Outlook 2007 through normal retail channels.
    Does anybody know if Outlook 2010 will work? If not, maybe somebody could post some links to some options for purchasing stand-alone Outlook 2007.
    This isn't exactly a question for the Zimbra forums, wouldn't Microsoft be the best people to ask?

A quick search found this: +"stand alone" +"outlook 2010" - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    This isn't exactly a question for the Zimbra forums, wouldn't Microsoft be the best people to ask?

A quick search found this: +"stand alone" +"outlook 2010" - Yahoo! Search Results
    Well, seeing as how a newly (finally?) released Zimbra Blackberry Connector requires MS Outlook 2007 (which appears to be now outdated), I'd say this would be a perfect place to ask this question. Everybody that tries to install the Blackberry Connector is going to need MS Outlook 2007 (unless Outlook 2010 will work but nobody seems to be able to confirm that it will or won't).

Also, your search link was for MS Outlook 2010 which didn't even answer my original question.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

... I'd say this would be a perfect place to ask this question.
    Not really as Zimbra don't sell or provide the software, you really should ask Microsoft or on one of their forums.

Also, your search link was for MS Outlook 2010 which didn't even answer my original question.
    Gosh I put the wrong term into a search, let's see if I can get it right this time: +"stand alone" +"outlook 2007" - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

You will have to contact your Microsoft supplier. IIRC, you have to purchase Outlook 2010 and ask for downgrade license.

I too ran into this same issue. What I finally had to do after much searching, arguing with vendors and pulling what little hair I have left out... was to call my Microsoft sales line and DEMAND a downgrade license. They sent me over a 2007 key the next day. Then, I had to bit-torrent the Outlook 2007 media because they won't send you a copy or give you a ink to download it. Here's a key! But you're on your own! Love MS. I really do. What a giant pain they have become... and they wonder why Apple and Google are killing them right now.

Hope this helps!

Mike Murray
    Last edited by phoenix; 10-16-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Default The underlying issue being...

Zimbra is forcing us to use a product that is obsolete.

Unless a Zimbra Rep can confirm that the Blackberry Connector will work with Outlook 2010, it's obvious we are being forced to demand old licenses from our vendors or we are left with the alternative of "obtaining" the Outlook 2007 media from an illicit source and then trying to find a way to license them.

We've waited a LONG time for BES 5.0 and BesX 5.0 compatibility. We shouldn't be spending time looking for pre-requisites software to be able to install something that has JUST been released.

Zimbra need to get off their butts and confirm that Outlook 2010 works with the new Blackberry Connector or they need to provide an alternative way to purchase the software we need to enable the new Connector.

Unless a Zimbra Rep can confirm that the Blackberry Connector will work with Outlook 2010, it's obvious we are being forced to demand old licenses from our vendors or we are left with the alternative of "obtaining" the Outlook 2007 media from an illicit source and then trying to find a way to license them.
    Unfortunately, I have to put just as much blame on Microsoft. Why is it almost impossible to obtain a three year old piece of software? If car dealers obsoleted your car in 3 years you wouldn't blame the aftermarket navigation system company would you?

Both are at fault equally in my book.

Mike Murray
    Last edited by phoenix; 10-16-2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Not really as Zimbra don't sell or provide the software, you really should ask Microsoft or on one of their forums.

Gosh I put the wrong term into a search, let's see if I can get it right this time: +"stand alone" +"outlook 2007" - Yahoo! Search Results
    Will the connector work with Outlook 2010 or not?

Quote Originally Posted by sin_x View Post
    Will the connector work with Outlook 2010 or not?
    Has anybody just tried? I've got a 2003 Server setup in my work room with an Office 2010 box set sitting next to it. I'm going to try and get it working this weekend.

I'll report back on success/failure.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."