Thread: Windows 2008 Server R2 - Patch Tuesday screwed my BESX

Default Windows 2008 Server R2 - Patch Tuesday screwed my BESX

Just a heads up, somewhere among the dozen or so Windows 2008 R2 Server and Office 2007 patches that were released this week is a BESX killer. I had Blackberry Controller Service failing until I rolled back all the updates that were pushed on Tuesday.

Identified it as KB2288953 -

Default Same thing here

We experienced the same issue after the patches. The BESX Controller would not start and wasn't throwing any useful logging or Event Viewer messages.

Rather than roll back the patches, I was able to resolve the issue by reinstalling the ZCB and then rebooting. Service was restored UNTIL...

Same thing happened last night around 4:30. However, this time, all the services were in a running state but the ZCB wasn't talking to the Zimbra server. Reinstalling the ZCB and rebooting fixed the problem.

I think this might be a file permission or rights issue. Could something be getting changed by a nightly audit?

For me I just rolled back the KB I referenced earlier in this thread (in case someone runs a search on it), and then I reinstalled the CDO and ZCB and rebooted. The Blackberry Controller service has been staying up since (I disabled automatic Windows Update and also specifically excluded that one patch from being applied.

But despite Blackberry controller service staying up, push doesn't work, users can't activate OTA and every 15 minutes I get a message from Blackberry Messaging Agent telling me that "5 user(s) failed to initialize.". (we only have 5 users in total).

I got a support ticket running but no response so far.

This is starting to be a PITA. ZCB beta with the now defunct Blackberry Professional server was much better. BESX 5.x is volatile and RIM won't support me once I mention Zimbra. Zimbra are left holding the baby, which they obviously try to avoid when the issues are often Microsoft / RIM issues.

The insane thing is we have unused Exchange licenses sitting there but I keep pushing Zimbra.