Thread: Myths Cleared Up Please

Default Myths Cleared Up Please

Outlook Connector v.4.5.7

I need clarification on functionality with this connector.

1. Will a created meeting and invite in outlook sync to the web client?

2. Will a Shared Calendar Invite show up in outlook. Further more can I accept it?

3. Will a plug in such as gotomeeting conflict and cause errors in outlook?

4. I need details to clear up the C++ error received in outlook. Please do not direct me to a wiki, or a post... I need basic instruction step by step on what to do... Also please do not answer with go to a command prompt and navigate to...Assume the worst and that I am a complete moron when it comes to windows and command prompts.

5. Has anyone ever heard using word as the default editor in outlook causes issues?

6. If I create a meeting in outlook will somebody in the web interface be able to accept said meeting, and vice versa? Same for Shared Calendars.

I appreciate everyones help, these are questions and myths that arise too often from my users and I need some concrete verification on all of these things. Thank you in advance for helping me out.

1. Will a created meeting and invite in outlook sync to the web client?
    Yes.

2. Will a Shared Calendar Invite show up in outlook. Further more can I accept it?
    It will show up, you cannot accept it. In outlook, when you want to access someone elses shared content, you mount their mailbox and all the data in their mailbox that you have access to will be available to you in outlook (mail, calendar, contacts, tasks, etc).

3. Will a plug in such as gotomeeting conflict and cause errors in outlook?
    They should not, but they sometimes do. We don't do compatability testing for all the plugins (too many). Some plugins work fine, others have issues. We have several users using gotomeeting internally and it seems to work fine. Generally, the plugins that assume you are using exchange cause problems.

4. I need details to clear up the C++ error received in outlook. Please do not direct me to a wiki, or a post... I need basic instruction step by step on what to do... Also please do not answer with go to a command prompt and navigate to...Assume the worst and that I am a complete moron when it comes to windows and command prompts.
    Contact support@zimbra.com and they'll walk you through the process.

5. Has anyone ever heard using word as the default editor in outlook causes issues?
    Nope, I use it daily.

6. If I create a meeting in outlook will somebody in the web interface be able to accept said meeting, and vice versa? Same for Shared Calendars.
    Yes.
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

Thanks for your speedy response, please see my comments below.

QUOTE=sam;63712]Yes.

This function has not worked with this connector as I have tested multiple times.

It will show up, you cannot accept it. In outlook, when you want to access someone elses shared content, you mount their mailbox and all the data in their mailbox that you have access to will be available to you in outlook (mail, calendar, contacts, tasks, etc).

Understood.

They should not, but they sometimes do. We don't do compatability testing for all the plugins (too many). Some plugins work fine, others have issues. We have several users using gotomeeting internally and it seems to work fine. Generally, the plugins that assume you are using exchange cause problems.

Thanks, I will pass it along.

Contact support@zimbra.com and they'll walk you through the process.

I have a case open with them and they are very slow to respond, The first two responses were responses I already received in the forum. Kind of pointless when people ask for help to not help them in your own words, but rather point them to a 3 step process that might as well be chinese to me. If I understood the forum suggestion I never would have had to open a case with zimbra support.

Nope, I use it daily.

Didn't think so.

Yes.[/QUOTE]

Nobody has been able to accept a meeting I create with them from web client to outlook. An acceptance option never appears. Therefore an event is never added to the calendar.

Can you create me 2 accounts on your server so I can try to repro? If so, PM me the server/account details.

This is standard functionality that is used routinely by many of our customers.
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

Sam,

I attempted to create you 2 accoutns on the server last night, however, everytime I chose I password it told me the password is invalid. I am working onsite trying to help these people through their issues. I will speak with their Syst admin today and see if we can get those two accts. In the mean time, can you lean on Angad to respond back to me about the C++ error its happening more often now and we need a fix. I have updated users to the 4.5.9 outlook connector even though they are still running 4.5.6

Thanks,

Chris-

While we understand your wanting help, please keep in mind that support answers cases in order in which they get them based upon severity and support plans.

If you need help with support or want a quicker response, please bring it up at support@zimbra.com as the forums are not the place to do that.

We do not take requests to "lean on" support personnel in the forums.

Thanks for understanding,
    john