Thread: Wrong "From" address in Outlook 2007

Default Wrong "From" address in Outlook 2007

I have some users who are trying the beta version of the 5.0 connector (5.0.306) using Windows XP and Outlook 2007 with our 4.5.6 server.

Two of them are experiencing a strange problem. When they send email, the from address is incorrect and they get an undeliverable message back from the server. A close examination of the message they sent shows that the from address is user@example.com@example.com

If they manually specify their correct email address in the from field when composing a message, the message sends just fine.

I don't know why Outlook would be using this incorrect email address in the from field. That's where I'm stuck.

They are able to receive mail and otherwise syncronize just fine with the zimbra server. The configuration seems correct, if I change the email address field in the configuration and remove the domain (i.e. from username@example.com to username), the connector will not authenticate. Obviously, the accounts work fine through the web client or using IMAP.

This is happening on two of the four systems that we've tested this beta connetor on.

Thanks,
    Dan

Default Wrong from address

Just curious -- did these users change their Zimbra password, and then get prompted by Outlook to reauthenticate? And if they did, did they enter their whole email address (i.e. joe@foo.com) as opposed to just their username (i.e. joe)?

If that happens, you need to enter just the username. Once you enter it that way, the profile name will be corrupted like that.

We'll file a bug so that we will catch this, but in the meantime, could this be a possible cause?

If so, they should get rid of that profile, create a new one, and initial sync. Next time they change their password and are prompted, just enter the username.

Thanks

Default Asian Characters

Some of my users are having a similar problem. About one person in ten has their name replaced with a string of Asian characters. Their address is fine, but when they send it to someone without Asian fonts it shows up as ???????? <name@domain.com>

I had the users delete the profile and create a new one, and though the initial sync was a inconvenient (4 GB profile) it did fix the problem.

The strange thing was that when they originally created the profile (and changed their passwords) I had them send me a test message which worked fine. Only later did the profile become corrupt. I honestly don't know if they entered just their username or their full email address when changing their passwords. That could very well been the cause.

I had chalked it up to a Windows Update (I know, it's easy to just blame MS) because both of the users did a fresh install of Office 2007 and they both had automatic updates enabled, which installed some Office updates.