Thread: Shared Calendars do not display all items

Default Shared Calendars do not display all items

Hi Guys,

This is a curious problem. I have been able to recreate a bug that one of our clients is experiencing. I will try to describe it:

The version on this server is "4.5.9_GA_1455_RHEL4 16th Oct 2007".

All items for a shared calendar appear fine through the Zimbra web interface. No problems there. However when a shared calendar is viewed in Outlook (both 2003 and 2007) only certain items display. If we look at an item that does not display in Outlook by using the web client, we can see the subject and the time only. If we look at an item that displays in both the web client and Outlook, we can see the organiser and attendees in addition to the subject and date.

Interestingly enough, if we open an item in the web client that cannot display in Outlook and then save it...it will then appear in Outlook, but only until you close Outlook and reopen it. Then it disappears.

Is this a known issue?

I am trying this with the very latest V5 RC2 connector.

Regards,
    Gary

Any ideas on this one guys? Do you need me to post screenshots or anything?

Ok, we have managed to narrow down the problem a little more. It seems that accessing the same mailbox with Outlook 2003 on Windows XP gives no problems. That would suggest that it is a problem with either Windows Vista? Are there any known issues with this?

What about Outlook 2007 on XP? One thing that might be interesting are ZCO logs for both the case that works and the case that doesn't. You could turn logging on, unmount the calendar, then mount it again and sync. Then send us the logs. Maybe a comparison of good and bad would tell us something.

Hi fsiegel,

Thank you for your reply. I shall go and do those steps right away. May I ask, when you say turn logging on, which logging are you refering to, and where? Is it server logging, or client side logging? Are there any special tools I will need to download?

I will need to instruct the client how to set logging up on the functional machine, because so far we have been unable to get things working on our end.

One thing I did think of just before: when I was importing calendars, I was doing so on the command line using curl. Do you think it would have made a difference what permissions were on the files at the time? For example, if the files were root owned, would it matter?

Regards,
    Gary

I mean ZCO logging. This logs what the Outlook connector does on your client machine. There is a program called ZCOLogCtrl. If you can't find it, it's located where you installed the connector, usually C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 [depending on locale]. Check the Enable Logging and Http Logging boxes. If you set the maximum log file size to 0, it means unlimited. You then have to shut Outlook down for this to take effect.

So make sure you are ready to initial sync the calendars in question and send the logs. You should shut Outlook down after the run, so we don't get a lot of extraneous stuff in there.

As far as using curl and permissions, I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it, but I'm not completely sure.

Default Update

Hey guys,

Just an update to this thread. I enabled the logging at my end and I instructed the client (who reported he had been able to get around the issue on his winxp/outlook 2003 setup) to do the same. He has since told me that in fact the issue still exists. Basically then I am back where I started. I do have the log files from that server, but after a quick scan through them I notice they have some sensitive information in them (client emails etc). Perhaps it would be better if I opened this as a support ticket, or do you have any other suggestions?

Regards,
    Gary

A support ticket would probably be a good idea. Or, if the logs aren't huge, and there aren't too many emails, you could go through the logs and delete the content of the emails. That's probably a lot of trouble though.

You might look through the logs and see if there are any exceptions or obvious errors.

Support ticket is probably best, though.