Thread: vista desktop serch and taks's

Default vista desktop serch and taks's

Running zimbra 5.0.1 GA

I have user complaining that the vista search is not indexing their zimbra mail the way it doses with PST's including exchange pst files. Is there a way to address this?

Also should tasks be syncing from outlook/ical? They don't appear to be. Seems odd to add them web client only...

Quote Originally Posted by griffon View Post
    Running zimbra 5.0.1 GA

I have user complaining that the vista search is not indexing their zimbra mail the way it doses with PST's including exchange pst files. Is there a way to address this?

Also should tasks be syncing from outlook/ical? They don't appear to be. Seems odd to add them web client only...
    tasks should be syncing to outlook.
    can you describe the indexing problem in more detail?

Quote Originally Posted by alee View Post
    tasks should be syncing to outlook.
    can you describe the indexing problem in more detail?
    So outlook tasks are working now, they didn't on the first pass weird but as long as they are good now I guess that is ok. No love for ical todo items though?

The indexing problem as I understand it vista indexes all PST's so you can run your desktop search and it includes mail. Since the zimbra pst is called something else (sorry forget and I don't use outlook myself . dbz? dbf?) it is not being picked up and indexed for search. I would guess that google desktop and others might have this issue too. Is this expected behavior or is it supposed to be picking it up?
    Last edited by griffon; 01-18-2008 at 12:43 PM.

So outlook tasks are working now, they didn't on the first pass weird but as long as they are good now I guess that is ok. No love for ical todo items though?

The indexing problem as I understand it vista indexes all PST's so you can run your desktop search and it includes mail. Since the zimbra pst is called something else (sorry forget and I don't use outlook myself . dbz? dbf?) it is not being picked up and indexed for search. I would guess that google desktop and others might have this issue too. Is this expected behavior or is it supposed to be picking it up?
    so it looks like they are running vista but what version of outlook?
    we have verification that this works with vista/outlook 2007.

so it looks like they are running vista but what version of outlook?
    we have verification that this works with vista/outlook 2007.
    Good question, I forgot to check, checking with the client on that. Is it known not to support that in 2003? I know vista indexes 2003 pst's on my test rig.

Good question, I forgot to check, checking with the client on that. Is it known not to support that in 2003? I know vista indexes 2003 pst's on my test rig.
    i haven't heard that it doesn't work.
    btw, how does the user know that things are not being indexed? it might take a bit to build the indices.

i haven't heard that it doesn't work.
    btw, how does the user know that things are not being indexed? it might take a bit to build the indices.
    He is running 2007

He knows because he has tried valid searches that should be returning mail, and no mail is getting returned at all.

He is running 2007

He knows because he has tried valid searches that should be returning mail, and no mail is getting returned at all.
    can you enable ZCO logging on that machine. ZCO logs all clients that use the ZCO store provider so if the windows search is making requests into the zdb, then you will see logs for it. this configuration should be working.
    if it is having problems within ZCO, the logs will tell us.

can you enable ZCO logging on that machine. ZCO logs all clients that use the ZCO store provider so if the windows search is making requests into the zdb, then you will see logs for it. this configuration should be working.
    if it is having problems within ZCO, the logs will tell us.
    I asked the user to turn on logging (they are in the UK so it's a little hard to work with them) and also to double check their serch control settings.