Thread: ZCS Installation Interrupted (x10) on WinXP / Outlook 2007

Question ZCS Installation Interrupted (x10) on WinXP / Outlook 2007

Hi --

I have tried for the last 8 hours to get this to work and even had a colleague help me out where, in a virtual machine on a Mac, he was able to get it successfully configured on his machine, but not on my native Windows XP (Thinkpad T61)...

I am using:
    - Windows XP
    - Office 2007 Small Biz, SP 1

I tried installing: ZimbraOlkConnector-4.5.10_GA_1571_4.5.436.msi

Here are the paths that I took:
    * Install the MSI. It bombed with an Installation Interrupted message. When I reinstall to repair it, it seems to work but I never get prompted with the Zimbra config. Instead, I eventually get the following message:
    Cannot open your defailt e-mail folders. An unexpected error has occured. MAPI was unable to load the information service LSMSSP.DLL. Be sure the service is correctly installed and configured.
    *I even went through some of the debugging steps outlined in other posts here in this forum... I even tried to doctor up C:\Program Files\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\Mapisvc.inf so that it looked ok. Copied over my colleagues version of that file. Nothing.

* I uninstalled Office, and uninstalled ActiveSync. then reinstalled just office. Same problem. Same Symptoms

I've captured the logfile of the .MSI installation (both of them -- the first one that got interrupted and the second one that seems to have completed it).

Can anyone help me on this? I have uploaded the logfiles as well as the Mapisvc.inf file for inspection...

Any help would be much appreciated!

-Mike Petonic
    petonic@messagesystems.com (petonic@omniti.com)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by petonic; 01-24-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by petonic View Post
    Hi --

I have tried for the last 8 hours to get this to work and even had a colleague help me out where, in a virtual machine on a Mac, he was able to get it successfully configured on his machine, but not on my native Windows XP (Thinkpad T61)...

I am using:
    - Windows XP
    - Office 2007 Small Biz, SP 1

I tried installing: ZimbraOlkConnector-4.5.10_GA_1571_4.5.436.msi

Here are the paths that I took:
    * Install the MSI. It bombed with an Installation Interrupted message. When I reinstall to repair it, it seems to work but I never get prompted with the Zimbra config. Instead, I eventually get the following message:

*I even went through some of the debugging steps outlined in other posts here in this forum... I even tried to doctor up C:\Program Files\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\Mapisvc.inf so that it looked ok. Copied over my colleagues version of that file. Nothing.

* I uninstalled Office, and uninstalled ActiveSync. then reinstalled just office. Same problem. Same Symptoms

I've captured the logfile of the .MSI installation (both of them -- the first one that got interrupted and the second one that seems to have completed it).

Can anyone help me on this? I have uploaded the logfiles as well as the Mapisvc.inf file for inspection...

Any help would be much appreciated!

-Mike Petonic
    petonic@messagesystems.com (petonic@omniti.com)

the GA for 2007 support is in 5.0 so it seems that you are using the wrong connector.

Quote Originally Posted by alee View Post
    the GA for 2007 support is in 5.0 so it seems that you are using the wrong connector.

Ahh, GA support, true. But I'm just looking for it to work, not official GA support :-).

I finally did get it to work with some guidance (read: step-by-step instructions) from my colleague.

Here's what I did.

• ControlPanel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Z Connector v 4.5
    • Installed Z Connector 5.0 (Yes!)
    • Launched Outlook 5.0
    • Configured Z connector
    • Outlook barfs on version error
    • Quit Outlook
    • ControlPanel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Z Connector v 5.0
    • Install Z Connector 4.5 (this time, no INSTALLATION INTERRUPTED occured)
    • Launch Outlook
    • Reconfigure Z connector 4.5

Cumbersome, yes? But it worked.

Thought that I'd share the good news and may it be of help to some other Zimbra renegade.

-Mike

Nothing mysterious.
    5.0 installer adds MAPI directory to the PATH.
    That is why 4.5 installer works afterwards.
    5.0 has a lot bugs related to Outlook 2007 fixed.
    4.5 not.
    So be prepared.
    Regards
    Henry

Default Sometimes "working" is better than "not working."

Quote Originally Posted by henry View Post
    Nothing mysterious.
    5.0 installer adds MAPI directory to the PATH.
    That is why 4.5 installer works afterwards.
    5.0 has a lot bugs related to Outlook 2007 fixed.
    4.5 not.
    So be prepared.
    Absolutely... Thanks for the caveat emptor.

My reality, however, is that I'm a simple Luser, and so I don't make decisions on whether my company goes to 5.0 or not.... As I understand it, 5.0 is fairly recent and there might be some things that need to get ironed out.

Like it or not, the server is stuck at 4.5 for the time being, but i still want to use Outlook 2007, so this kludge works. It'd be nice to have a more elegant solution (such as a newly updated installer for 4.5 versions that include the PATH directive), but whatever. It works.

Hopefully, someone else who is in the same predicament can find the solution above helpful.

-Mike