Thread: large shared folder area with outlook

Default large shared folder area with outlook

Hello. This question is more about functional design.

We have a shared folder structure broken down by project, and year. there are over 100 projects spread across the past 10 years. So the basic structure looks like

Projects
    ...|
    ......|
    ......Project1
    ......Project2
    ......Project3
    ......Project4

(i hope i formatted that right).

Anyway, we have this structure setup under one master user, and have it shared to the whole company r/w. In the zimbra web ui, if a person wants to link to a project folder that they're working on, they just right click in the folders, and link to shared folder and specify the path /Projects/Year/ProjectName (we have a master list on the intranet).

This works great because it puts a folder directly at their top level for the project, and they don't have to wade through the structre to get to theirs.

However, under outlook the only way I can seem to get them to come up is to do the 'open another user's folder" thing and open the master account's entiere mail folder. This gives them the whole Projects tree. This is bad for a couple of reasons.

the first reason is what i mentioned above just from a clutter aspect.

the second reason is worse. Since zimbra doesn't support acl's at different levels, a user could theoreticly wipe out the entire Projects structure if they didn't know what they were doing because we give the users delete permission so that they can manage the project folders themselves and clean up duplicates and what not. As far as I can tell, there is no way to enable a user to delete messages within a folder, but not the whole folder itself is there?

The only option I've been able to come up with so far is to make an individual account for every project, which would just be a nightmare.

I can't figure out any way to get outlook to open a deep folder. Is this possible, or does anyone have suggestions or examples of how they've done this?
    Last edited by bdial; 02-26-2008 at 06:03 AM.

hmmm...you can actually specify ACLs at different levels.
    the folder hierarchy depth is working as designed. if a user doesn't have access to a "higher level" folder, they will not be able to act on it even if it is viewable just to get to the folder that they do have access to.

There is an open bug for this enhancement request. Please vote for it!

Bug 11418 – user selects which shared folders to mount