Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outlook and Zimbra Connector not sending attachments

Hybrid View

Unhappy Outlook and Zimbra Connector not sending attachments

I've been having this problem for almost a month now. I've been working with the Zimbra support folks in an attempt to get some insight as to why this problem started up all of a sudden.. I figured I might as well post what's happening in here too in hopes that someone else has had a similar problem.

A hand full of my users cannot send attachments through Outlook. They use the Zimbra Outlook Connector. If that same user logs into the webmail they can send attachments just fine. The maximum attachment size and maximum post size on my server has been cranked up to 800MB in an attempt to solve this issue. The attachment my users are trying to send are .pdf, .doc, and .xls files. None of them are over 8MB in size. We are running Zimbra version 4.5.11, the ZCO is version 4.5.11 as well (Filename ZimbraOlkConnector-4.5.11_GA_1749_4.5.505.msi). My clients are running Windows XP and Outlook 2003.

When I turn on debug mode for the clients Zimbra Connector client this is the error we are seeing when attachments are attemtping to be sent.
    Code:
    28-02-2008 14:55:33 [3296]: *107* DEBUG: Zimbra::Rpc::Connection::WriteToHttp, Byte written so far in current segment: 65536
    28-02-2008 14:55:33 [3296]: *107* DEBUG: Zimbra::Rpc::Connection::WriteToHttp, Byte written so far in current segment: 131072
    28-02-2008 14:55:34 [3296]: *107* DEBUG: Zimbra::Rpc::Connection::WriteToHttp, Byte written so far in current segment: 196608
    28-02-2008 14:55:38 [3296]: *107* DEBUG: Zimbra::Rpc::Connection::WriteToHttp, Byte written so far in current segment: 262144
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: *107* ERROR: Zimbra::Rpc::Connection::WriteToHttp - failed on WinHttpWriteData(...), Error Code: 12002
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: *107* ERROR: Zimbra::Rpc::Connection::WriteToHttp - Total Bytes to write: 1048576
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: *107* ERROR: Zimbra::Rpc::Connection::WriteToHttp - Byte written so far: 262144
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: *107* ERROR: Zimbra::Rpc::Connection::WriteToHttp - Size of this segment: 65536
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: ZimbraXPLogon::SubmitMessage: RpcException: The request has timed out.
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: ERROR: Zimbra::Rpc::HandleConnectionFailure - RPC exception with error code: 12002 (The request has timed out.)
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: Zimbra::Store::ZimbraMessage::GetProps. this(1d38c90) inner(a8b5de4)
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: TRACING => Zimbra::Rpc::Connection::ReleaseProgressTask - _pProgressTask(0x1c35718)
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: Zimbra::Store::ZimbraMessage::GetProps. this(1d37240) inner(a876c84)
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: ZimbraXPLogon::SubmitMessage
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: IMessageWrapperImpl::GetRecipientTable
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: Zimbra::Store::ZimbraMessage::GetProps. this(1d37240) inner(a876c84)
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: Zimbra::Store::ZimbraMessage::SetProps. this(1d37240) inner(a876c84)
    28-02-2008 14:56:38 [3296]: Zimbra::Store::ZimbraMessage::SaveChanges. this(1d37240) inner(a876c84)
    On our server I am seeing error messages as well. The error below shows up in the mailbox.log file when my users try to send an attachment with the connector.
    Code:
    2008-02-22 14:27:54,807 INFO  [http-80-Processor72] [name=*edit*@*edit.com*;mid=136;ip=*edit*;ua=ZimbraConnectorForOutlook/4.5.505;] SendMsg - <SendMsg> LC(mbox=7d2794c4-e8ff-4a21-aa4a-112e3c292a6a)
    2008-02-22 14:27:57,911 INFO  [http-80-Processor69] [] FileUploadServlet - File upload failed
    org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Connection reset
            at org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:429)
            at com.zimbra.cs.service.FileUploadServlet.doPost(FileUploadServlet.java:346)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)
            at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:152)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
            at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
            at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:541)
            at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
            at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
            at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:667)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    I've made registry changes to up the timeout value for sending messages. The default is 60 seconds. I change it to 600 seconds and still the same results.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zimbra\Connection\SendT imeout

Is where the registry changes were made.

After all of this testing was done and logs were sent I even went as for as reinstalling Outlook on my clients computers. When outlook was reinstalled it started sending attachments again, for about a day. The following day after outlook was reinstalled I have gone right back to the same problem. Any message with attachments will not send. It remains stuck in the outbox.

The folks as Zimbra support tell me the newest patch 5.0.3 will solve this problem for me, but that patch isn't out yet and its been nearly a month. The Zimbra folks said the patch was due out March 17th, but it still has not been released. I am at a loss. I need this to work now. Its been a month and my users are starting to grumble more and more. If anyone has had any similar experiences with this problem and have any insight into this I would be most grateful if you could help me with this situation.

Default 5.0.3 is Out!!!

Kilrathi,

Sounds like you are hitting this bug. Bug 24740 - Zimbra Connection Setting Mismatch

When you get a chance, upgrade the server to 5.0.3, and upgrade the ZCO version to 5.0.3 for the users as well.

king0770,

Wait a sec, the way I read the bug report, it is addressing an issue that would occur that repeatedly forced Outlook into Off Line mode when a user tried to send an attachment that was too large. What kilrathi describes seems a different issue, wherein the Zimbra server just is not accepting attachment that are well under the limit set for the server. Am I missing something? Are you saying that these are at root the same issue?

I am very curious because I have users facing both situations using ZCO. I also have users (including me) who can't send attachments that should be under the size limit of 15Mb set for our installation.

Any further insight you could give would be greatly appreciated. I would love to find out if all of these issues will be resolved by upgrading.

I'm working on this one. I looked at the latest logs, and I don't believe it's bug 24740. In that one, the server would terminate the connection, and this has been fixed in 5.0.3. But from these logs, it looks like the same old timeout issue that you have always had. It's a 12002 error, not a 12030. I assume that your registry settings are still bumped up?

It seems like a flaky connection. I know it works with the web client, but did you try moving the problem users to another network port? I know that when I was investigating bug 24740, I could only reproduce it from home, with the slower connection speed.

Also, you mentioned that after reinstalling Outlook, it worked again, and then stopped working. Was there some auto update that possibly installed a later Outlook patch?

Thanks

A few more questions:

1) Is this error caused by all attachments, or just those greater than a given size. [What happens with a 1K attachment?] And if there is a size threshold, what is it?

2) Is there any anti-virus software on the suspect machines that could be causing problems?

3) Are there any Outlook addins (besides ours) on these machines that could be causing problems.

Thanks

1) It seems to be caused by any and all attachments. We've tried 2k, 2MB, and 20MB. They all seems to result in the same problem.

2) Yes we run Symantec Anti-Virus. The email scanning portion of it was disabled for I thought it may have been causing the problem.

3) There was 1 other addin (Adobe Acrobat) that was running. I've since disabled / uninstalled them to eliminate them as the culprit.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsiegel View Post
    A few more questions:

1) Is this error caused by all attachments, or just those greater than a given size. [What happens with a 1K attachment?] And if there is a size threshold, what is it?

2) Is there any anti-virus software on the suspect machines that could be causing problems?

3) Are there any Outlook addins (besides ours) on these machines that could be causing problems.

Thanks
    The problem is occuring with every user who has the Outlook connector. It isn't any single user that is having this problem. If they have the outlook connector they can't send attachment outside the local domains.

The timeouts were reset when i upgraded the client to 5.0.3, but I've increased the timeout and the error is still occuring. As far as any patches that were autoinstalled there are none that I can find. The windows autoupdate is enabled, but I didn't find any updates that were installed during the time it worked and when it quit. When i change the timeout for sending Outlook always goes into Offline mode with the message

"The settings for connecting to the Zimbra server may be inforrect. Please verify that they are correct. A common cause of this error is an incorrect value for User Secure Connection. Outlook Will be set to Offline Mode."

The client is *not* using secure mode and the server address is set correctly. The username and password are both correct. If i take Outlook out of offline mode it works fine until it tried to send the message with an attachment again.

Quote Originally Posted by fsiegel View Post
    I'm working on this one. I looked at the latest logs, and I don't believe it's bug 24740. In that one, the server would terminate the connection, and this has been fixed in 5.0.3. But from these logs, it looks like the same old timeout issue that you have always had. It's a 12002 error, not a 12030. I assume that your registry settings are still bumped up?

It seems like a flaky connection. I know it works with the web client, but did you try moving the problem users to another network port? I know that when I was investigating bug 24740, I could only reproduce it from home, with the slower connection speed.

Also, you mentioned that after reinstalling Outlook, it worked again, and then stopped working. Was there some auto update that possibly installed a later Outlook patch?

Thanks

Default i have the same problem here with me

version 5.04 slow connection - we need urgently to solve this.

You can try to set bigger timeouts
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zimbra\Connection\SendT imeout
    Timeout is in millisecods.

Also you change additional timeouts:
    ReceiveTimeout
    OptionReceiveTimeout
    ConnectTimeout
    Regards
    Henry

I've tried changing the timeout values of all three of these in the registry.

OptionReceive Timeout
    Receive Timeout
    SendTimeout

I changed them to 600000 and rebooted my computer. Still the same problem. I also changed them to 6000000 and rebooted. Still the same issue.

I've also tried to roll back our clients to an earlier version of the ZCO (4.5.373) to see if this helps. Still the same errors.

This error is from the older version (4.5.373)
    Code:
    2008-04-07 13:13:06,528 INFO  [btpool0-260] [name=<edited>;mid=51;ip=<edited>;ua=Zimbra-ZCO/4.5.373 (5.1.2600 Service Pack 2;; en-US);] FileUploadServlet - File upload failed
    org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. timeout
            at org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:429)
            at com.zimbra.cs.service.FileUploadServlet.handleMultipartUpload(FileUploadServlet.java:370)
            at com.zimbra.cs.service.FileUploadServlet.doPost(FileUploadServlet.java:353)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727)
            at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:177)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
            at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserAgentFilter.java:81)
            at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:148)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:716)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:406)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:176)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:313)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:506)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:844)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:644)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:205)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:381)
            at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:396)
            at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)
    2008-04-07 13:13:06,529 INFO  [btpool0-260] [name=<edited>;mid=51;ip=<edited>;ua=Zimbra-ZCO/4.5.373 (5.1.2600 Service Pack 2;; en-US);] FileUploadServlet - Ignoring error that occurred while reading the end of the client request: org.mortbay.jetty.EofException
    This error is from the newest version of the ZCO (5.0.2533.3)
    Code:
    2008-04-07 13:20:50,624 INFO  [btpool0-269] [name=<edited>;mid=51;ip=<edited>;ua=Zimbra-ZCO/5.0.2533.3 (5.1.2600 Service Pack 2;; en-US);] FileUploadServlet - File upload failed
    org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. timeout
            at com.zimbra.cs.service.FileUploadServlet.handleMultipartUpload(FileUploadServlet.java:370)
            at com.zimbra.cs.service.FileUploadServlet.doPost(FileUploadServlet.java:353)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727)
            at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:177)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
            at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserAgentFilter.java:81)
            at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:148)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:716)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:406)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:176)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:313)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:506)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:844)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:644)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:205)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:381)
            at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:396)
            at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)
    2008-04-07 13:20:50,624 INFO  [btpool0-269] [name=<edited>;mid=51;ip=<edited>;ua=Zimbra-ZCO/5.0.2533.3 (5.1.2600 Service Pack 2;; en-US);] FileUploadServlet - Ignoring error that occurred while reading the end of the client request: org.mortbay.jetty.EofException

Both of them have had the timeout vales modified to the different values.

We're having the same issue, Zimbra 5.02. Any update or workarounds other than using the web client?