Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local Failure Notice Email

Do you have the actual .msg file of the local failure? Could be something bad in the dist list. I'd like to see the actual local failure.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I won't have access to a outlook msg file until tomorrow when the user is back in office, but i can copy and paste the body of their forward to me:

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: None
    To: Sonia J***s
    Subject: Local Failure Notice
    Importance: High

Local Failures were detected. No action is required.
    This e-mail was generated for technical support purposes.

Sync Type: Delta Sync

Sync Token (before request): 29147

Sync Token (most current): 29150

Store: Zimbra - Sonia J***s

Computer Name: BOB

Version: 6.0.5691.1

Error IDs:
    id (31466) type(contact)

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG - AVG Antivirus and Security Software - Real-time protection against viruses, spyware and malicious websites
    Version: 9.0.716 / Virus Database: 270.14.108/2565 - Release Date:
    12/15/09 07:52:00

That text is good enough -- I don't need the message file. Is this a delegate situation (syncing a shared contacts folder)? You might be running into bug 43062, fixed in 6.0.4. 6.0.4 should be out tomorrow or so.

yes the users do share a contacts folder - shared out from the 'sonia' user. I'll look forwards to 6.0.4 and see if that resolves.

I'm almost positive that is the problem, but unfortunately, I lied. That fix didn't get into 6.0.4 -- it will be in 6.0.5 and 5.0.22, neither of which will be out for awhile. I won't know until tomorrow, but I believe the problem happened when a name in a distribution list had a lot of letters before the @ in the email address.

So foo@bar would be ok, but foofoofoofoofoofoofoofoofoo@bar might break it. I guess you could test by looking if there are names like that and deleting them from the list (at least for now).

Again, this will be fixed in 6.0.5. If this is critical, you might think about trying to get a pre-release 6.0.5.

thanks

just so i'm clear where i'm looking, is this long email address going to be in the shared contacts, or any contacts? also is this going to be a newly made contact or could the contact have been there all along?

It would be a contact in a distribution list. The problem is parsing the names in a distribution list -- so at least one of the names in a distribution list you are trying to sync is undoubtedly causing this problem.

thanks, fortunately there are a limited amount of distribution lists, and they are easily moved to an unshared contacts folder as a process of elimination.

May i ask for some advice on a separate problem? all our outlook users are also experiencing problems sending attachments. Checking other threads on the subject, i've turned off attachment indexing and have been able to check the systems available inodes, but to no avail.

You'll have to be more specific about what types of problems. Are these problems sending large attachments? Are you timing out, is it a max attach size problem, etc.?

You can enable ZCO logging, and we can see what is going on. Also look at corresponding mailbox.log on the server to see what the issues are.

Here's more info on names in the distribution list that can cause problems until you get the fix for 43062:

"It was failing with <user@domain.tld> user@domain.tld format due to wrong offset calculation of @ sign in name part. This was fixed in 43062

If user renames the <user@domain.tld> user@domain.tld to standard <first_name last_name> user@domain.tld format this problem should not be seen."