Thread: Vista and Outlook 2007

Default Vista and Outlook 2007

Morning, folks.

We have a few users who have taken the plunge and migrated to both Windows Vista and Office 2007 (With Version 5 of the Connector). They have been plagued with issues since they made this jump and I'm not sure what, exactly, is wrong.

Issue 1: E-mails will, without warning, sometimes get stuck in the Outbox. E-mails can be as small as 5k without an attachment of any kind and others can have a 21 Meg attachment. (Our limit is 32MB.) There appears to be no pattern. Might this have something to do with our Anti-Virus software? One user has AVG 8.0 on his PC and another uses Norton Internet Security. Disabling Web and E-mail scanning has mostly resolved this issue on the AVG machine, but not on the Norton machine. We've had to move him to the Web Client while we work this out.

Issue 2: Without reason, some e-mails will leave the Outbox and go to the sent folder, but a message will be returned almost immediately from Zimbra with a HUGE line of error codes and an HTTP Error 500 - Internal Server Error message. The majority of the error messages have to do with the Jetty Server.

Issue 3: Outlook is, at random, switching to Offline Mode. The problem can be fixed by simply de-selecting the option in Outlook, but it sometimes happens several times a day.

Issue 4. The GAL becomes unsynced or lost. Without reason, the GAL and Calendar for a particular user will become either unsynced with changes I've made or just flat out NOT there. This can be remedied by a complete cleanout of Application folders on the computer and a full re-sync, but this is very time consuming.

Default Issue #2

"Issue 2: Without reason, some e-mails will leave the Outbox and go to the sent folder, but a message will be returned almost immediately from Zimbra with a HUGE line of error codes and an HTTP Error 500 - Internal Server Error message. The majority of the error messages have to do with the Jetty Server."

We have seen this issue as well and have pursued it as far as getting it reported at bugzilla, but there hasn't been any action on it in about a month. This issue can be a real hassle. Are you load balancing between multiple servers? We have users on a couple of different mailservers, and our work around on this has been to have the users point ZCO to the name of the mailserver their account is actually on.

You can check the bug report on this issue here:
    Bug 28084 – HTTP ERROR: 500 - When uploading attachments

mmergen,

Thanks for the fast response. I've been glancing at the forums every once in awhile to see if solutions have been found in regards to issue 2, but as you've said, it's only made it as far as the Bugs.

We don't have multiple servers. Our company's not that large yet, so everyone points to one server. Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
    Morning, folks.

We have a few users who have taken the plunge and migrated to both Windows Vista and Office 2007 (With Version 5 of the Connector). They have been plagued with issues since they made this jump and I'm not sure what, exactly, is wrong.

Issue 1: E-mails will, without warning, sometimes get stuck in the Outbox. E-mails can be as small as 5k without an attachment of any kind and others can have a 21 Meg attachment. (Our limit is 32MB.) There appears to be no pattern. Might this have something to do with our Anti-Virus software? One user has AVG 8.0 on his PC and another uses Norton Internet Security. Disabling Web and E-mail scanning has mostly resolved this issue on the AVG machine, but not on the Norton machine. We've had to move him to the Web Client while we work this out.

Issue 2: Without reason, some e-mails will leave the Outbox and go to the sent folder, but a message will be returned almost immediately from Zimbra with a HUGE line of error codes and an HTTP Error 500 - Internal Server Error message. The majority of the error messages have to do with the Jetty Server.

Issue 3: Outlook is, at random, switching to Offline Mode. The problem can be fixed by simply de-selecting the option in Outlook, but it sometimes happens several times a day.

Issue 4. The GAL becomes unsynced or lost. Without reason, the GAL and Calendar for a particular user will become either unsynced with changes I've made or just flat out NOT there. This can be remedied by a complete cleanout of Application folders on the computer and a full re-sync, but this is very time consuming.
    exactly what version of ZCO are you running? I believe that the gal problem was fixed for 5.0.6 and support has a newer version of 5.0.6 that will fix the offline problem.

in terms of the outbox problem, can you get some logs for that? there is an open issue with that problem and i'm having hard time reproducing it.

Alee,

Thanks for your quick response. We're using the following connector:

ZimbraOlkConnector-5.0.5_GA_2199_5.0.2580.5.msi

Is it possible to get the newest connector without upgrading to the newest version of Zimbra?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Get some logs for that'? I don't handle any of the Linux side of things, where Zimbra is deployed, so I'm not quite certain what you're looking for or how to get it.

What I CAN tell you is, only the people running Vista are having repeated problems. Little things crop up on our XP/Outlook 2003 machines, but they're once in awhile, and easily explained away to a hiccup in the system. I can reproduce Issue 1 with some regularity if I re-enable web-scanning and e-mail scanning on AVG 8.0.

Issue 2 I can reproduce with...limited predictability. The situation I find this error cropping up in involves sending a message with multiple file attachments to multiple recipients. I make sure that the total message size doesn't exceed limits imposed at the server, however. This will usually get me that error message. It's not limited to situations like this, however.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the quick responses, folks.

Direct your Linux admin to Log Files - Zimbra :: Wiki - the logs will provide more useful information.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
    Alee,

Thanks for your quick response. We're using the following connector:

ZimbraOlkConnector-5.0.5_GA_2199_5.0.2580.5.msi

Is it possible to get the newest connector without upgrading to the newest version of Zimbra?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Get some logs for that'? I don't handle any of the Linux side of things, where Zimbra is deployed, so I'm not quite certain what you're looking for or how to get it.

What I CAN tell you is, only the people running Vista are having repeated problems. Little things crop up on our XP/Outlook 2003 machines, but they're once in awhile, and easily explained away to a hiccup in the system. I can reproduce Issue 1 with some regularity if I re-enable web-scanning and e-mail scanning on AVG 8.0.

Issue 2 I can reproduce with...limited predictability. The situation I find this error cropping up in involves sending a message with multiple file attachments to multiple recipients. I make sure that the total message size doesn't exceed limits imposed at the server, however. This will usually get me that error message. It's not limited to situations like this, however.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the quick responses, folks.
    you can get the latest 5.0.6 from support and this would not require you to upgrade your ZCS.
    In terms of logs, please enable ZCO logging on the Outlook client machine because they should have some important information about why things whent wrong.

Outlook Troubleshooting Options - Zimbra :: Wiki

p24t and Alee,

Thanks for the Wiki Link. I'll see what I can get, though it may take some time. We've only got one user who is currently suffering the dreaded Outbox issue.

I'll see about deploying the new connector on the troubled machine and turning logging on. He's working from a remote office, so getting to those logs might be a smidge difficult to get to quickly. Even still, it's a place to start.

Thanks again, and I look forward to further answers!

Default Zimbra Outlook Connector

Alee,

You mentioned getting the newest Outlook Connector from Zimbra. We've only got 5.05 and every time I look for the 5.06 Connector online, it says I should download it from our Zimbra Server. how can I get this new connector without upgrading Zimbra?

Any updates on this? We have a user running AVG 8.0 on XP with Outlook 2003 running into the same problem. The user is connecting using the 5.0.8 connector against a 5.0.8 server.