Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outlook 2007: Data file needs checked

Zimbra seems to have fixed the problem in the latest release of the connector. I downloaded the latest version of Zimbra Connector for Outlook 5.0.9 GA Release from the Zimbra Downlods page. At least in my testing this morning on my computer, every time I exit Outlook 2007 the OUTLOOK.EXE process in Task Manager shut down like it should. I plan on running it on mylaptop for a few days before upgrading my other computers.

This looks very promising.

The problem has returned although it does not seem to be as near as bad. One thing that occurred to me is that this may not be a Zimbra Outlook Connector problem at all but either an Outlook 2007 problem or, as has been mentioned, an add-in. I say this because I have a computer that does not have Zimbra Connector installed that exihbits the same problem. The problem on this machine started after Office 2007 was installed.

Thumbs down It is a pity ....

It is a pity ... but this issue is causing so much unwanted and unneeded stress and support in my life that I will be investigating the Microsoft alternative.

It is pointless using a product that only woks with some clients' machines and then you also have no idea when the client is going to install a piece of software that breaks ZCO.

It feels to me as if we are beta testers for the software, which is really bad.

Support did at least acknowledge that "You appear to be hitting an existing bug."

Well, I have hit the bug hundreds of times and it does not want to die or disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by carlswart View Post
    It is a pity ... but this issue is causing so much unwanted and unneeded stress and support in my life that I will be investigating the Microsoft alternative.

It is pointless using a product that only woks with some clients' machines and then you also have no idea when the client is going to install a piece of software that breaks ZCO.

It feels to me as if we are beta testers for the software, which is really bad.

Support did at least acknowledge that "You appear to be hitting an existing bug."

Well, I have hit the bug hundreds of times and it does not want to die or disappear.

sorry if i'm being redundant but did you take a look at other apps and addins installed in outlook? if these guys aren't shutting down properly, they could be causing us problems.

Default No Outlook Expert

Quote Originally Posted by alee View Post
    sorry if i'm being redundant but did you take a look at other apps and addins installed in outlook? if these guys aren't shutting down properly, they could be causing us problems.
    Since I do not claim to be an Outlook expert, perhaps you can enlighten me where to look and for what to look. Even better would be pointing me in the direction of some decent documentation. If I never had to deal with Outlook that would be fine with me but unfortunately one of the most used tools in business today in our client base is Outlook. I am sure it is the same across most industries.

Furthermore, I fail to see why ZCO will have a problem with 3rd party add-ins. On the same machine connecting to an Exchange Server does not generate the same problem. So even if it is a 3rd party add-in causing all the problems why would I have to see it as acceptable that ZCO can work as long as there are no 3rd party add-in's, while running via Exchange works without any funny tweaks?

In my searching of various forums it has become apparant that the problem is not with ZCO but with Outlook. Applications (add-ins) or other utilities that interact with Outlooks database can keep it from closing down properly. I am looking at AVG email virus scanner as a possible cause but have not completed my testing.

Quote Originally Posted by GCamp View Post
    In my searching of various forums it has become apparant that the problem is not with ZCO but with Outlook. Applications (add-ins) or other utilities that interact with Outlooks database can keep it from closing down properly. I am looking at AVG email virus scanner as a possible cause but have not completed my testing.
    Be that as it may .... and believe me, I believe that your diagnosis maybe spot-on and that the problem indeed lies with Outlook and not ZCO .... at the end of the day, the real problem is perception.

CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, MDs, GMs and VPs of large companies use Outlook. The perception is that as such Microsoft's products must be the better solution. Unfortunately I do not share that perception, but as mere CTO I have no time to fight the perceptions of the other executives, although from my point of view Zimbra is far superior, the other executives merely sees that their Outlook is not functioning properly, so it MUST BE Zimbra causing the problems.

One of the executives are so convinced it is Zimbra to blame because they previously used a Hosted Exchange account and had no problems whatsoever.

If I speak to fellow technically minded people they, in a relative short time frame, see why Zimbra is the better solution.

Unfortunately that does not solve my problem with the ZCO database needing to be checked on a number of the executives machines. I can't blame them for complaining, it is a tedious process sitting and waiting for the check to complete. It feels as if your life is passing you by while waiting for the check to complete.

It is a pity, but the bottom line is that perception is a big factor. If the executives are happy and the perception from them is that Zimbra is great since everything works, well then Zimbra would be forced upon all the users in a company, something which I believe is ultimately good for Zimbra.

However, if they have a negative perception, it is an uphill battle that we as the technical minded people will almost, with certainty, loose every time.

Thumbs down

I have the same problem - Outlook 07, Windows XP, ZimbraOlkConnector-5.0.9_GA_2500_5.0.2706.9

I read this thread and try to solve the problem by disable my anti virus software. But that didn't solve it.

I can't found any AddIns. I have a base installation of Outlook and ZimbraOlkConnector.

I can work normaly, but the message appears every day and that sucks!
    My sensation says me, the problem is concerned with the ZimbraOlkConnector ...

I encountered this but I'm not sure it's Zimbra related : I don't have any additionnal plugin and it happened to me a couple of times.

Each time, it was after a "forced quit" of Outlook (such as Outlook being closed by Windows Update for a reboot)...

Once the ZDB file is repaired (it took from 5 to 20 minutes), if I close Outlook "nicely", I'm not getting any issue when launching it again.

This was both with 5.0.6 (and corresponding ZCO) and 5.0.8 (running a french Vista Pro, with Outlook 2007).
    Last edited by Klug; 09-16-2008 at 01:30 AM.

Unhappy Error not fixed.

I have not yet been able to fix the problem. However reducing the size of the ZDB has helped a bit.

To see which add-ins you are running, please see the following link.

Fix an Annoying Add-In Error

You will have to look at the 'Add-In Manager ...' and the 'COM Add-Ins ...' buttons.

Perhaps if everybody lists their add-ins, we will be able to determine a common add-in that is the cause of the problem?