First off, I apologize if this has been beaten to death in other threads. I've read through most of the "Blackberry Desktop Manager" sync error and crash threads, nothing so far has helped me. I'm a "Starter Edition" paying customer, so this is my primary support channel. I've been living with these issues since April when we first switched to Zimbra.
OS: Windows Vista x64 SP1
Outlook: 2007 SP1
BDM: 4.3 and 4.5 (identical issues)
BB: Curve 8330
Zimbra Version: 5.0.7 Network Edition
ZCO Version: 5.0.2661.7 (5.0.7)
As the only brave Vista x64 user in my organization, I seem to be the only one with continued issues. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the root cause of my issues is the fact that I'm running Vista x64, or some interaction between Vista, BDM and ZCO that hasn't been shaken out thoroughly on 64-bit platforms. In order to reliably sync, I have to boot a VMware image running XP (+same version of ZCO).
All of the other users in my organization are running XP, and had their BDM sync issues clear up around the time that Zimbra 5.0.5 was released.
My workflow looks something like this:
1. Attempt to sync using BDM
* At the point where it says "Processing Device Calendar", BDM crashes ("has stopped working"). No useful messages in the sync log
* Application log reports one of the two errors:
"Faulting application DesktopMgr.exe, version 18.104.22.168, time stamp 0x48400287, faulting module LSMSUTIL32.dll_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x48695c1d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x51095998, process id 0x1158, application start time 0x01c8f2648be112f0."
"Faulting application DesktopMgr.exe, version 22.214.171.124, time stamp 0x48400287, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a783, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000aada3, process id 0xa10, application start time 0x01c8f2645a83af10."
2. Clear device calendar using the BDM "Backup/restore" tool
3. Attempt to sync again
* Calendar syncs perfectly, but then BDM crashes when Processing tasks.
4. Clear device tasks using the BDM "Backup/restore" tool
5. Sync reliably until something changes in my calendar or tasks which triggers the crash again.
It is always the calendar or tasks items that cause BDM to crash, and despite heavy experimentation I haven't been able to figure out what specific calendar items or tasks trigger the issue. If I could take a stab at it, it seems that text contained in the calendar/task items goes through some kind of ASCII to Unicode or UTF-8 conversion (or vice versa).
As I've said before, I've tried all of the "tricks" that I've read about (Clearing the Intellisync data, installing first with the "Desktop Redirector" and then removing it, etc) without any improvement. Clearing the Calendar and Tasks databases directly on the device is the only solution that I can say is a consistently reproducible action.
It appears that I don't have direct access to RIM support, as I'm essentially an "end-user" to them and don't have any kind of enterprise support agreement. That is why I'm resorting to asking for help here.
So, my help request:
1. Zimbra forum members: Is anyone else running Vista x64 and Outlook 2007? Please post your experiences (positive and negative).
2. Zimbra developers: I don't have any debugging utilities, but I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves, crank up debugging (if possible), review and send off debug logs and any other useful data. Can I turn on debugging/verbosity in ZCO and BDM? What additional information can I provide? Let's get a bugzilla ticket rolling once we have something more solid to go on.
3. Zimbra bizdev people: You have relationships with Microsoft and RIM. What channels do you have available for reporting/resolving issues with those parties? Can you advocate bugs to be fixed, if either party is to blame?
Thanks in advance.