Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maximum mailbox size

Exclamation Maximum mailbox size

When trying to access any of our +2GB accounts from Outlook I get the attached error message.
    Smaller accounts works just fine. The web client has no problem with the large accounts.

How do I avoid/raise this limit?

I am using version 3.0.775.0 of the connector and the server from zcs-NETWORK-3.0.1_GA_160.RHEL4.tgz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's not possible to raise the limit at this time. We will be allow this in an upcoming release. The current limit is set to 1.5 GB. The next release will allow 1.8 GB. In the future the limit will be increased significantly well beyond 2 GB.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

But what is this limit good for?
    It is difficult to understand it since neither the web client nor the (imap) server has this problem -- even with +8 GB mailboxes.

It is a blocker for switching to Zimbra here :-(...

How far into the future is a fix to be expected?

It's a technical limitation of the current Outlook implementation. We recognize that it's important to many. For now you can use IMAP as you mentioned. We don't have a specific date but it is high on our priority list.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

That limitation was fixed when Outlook 2003 came out, by standard it is 40G which should be enough for most people, no email is not for sending iso images of DVD's ;-)

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=830336

It is not backwards compatible though.

Ian

It's not a problem with Outlook itself but our implementation. It's something we are working on fixing for a future release.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    It's not a problem with Outlook itself but our implementation. It's something we are working on fixing for a future release.
    Yes I understand that Kevin Of interest do you plan to move away from the pst file type as corruption can occur. My main concern is if a corruption to the file occurs it may not be able to be repaired with PST tools. I guess it is a matter of deleting the profile and file, reconnecting to the server to recover everything except tasks. What is the recommended backup procedure on the PC? Do you see a time when a PC client will be good enough to replace Outlook?

Ian

Ahh ok. Thought you didn't understand since you posted a link and said OK 2003 had unicode PST support. We are moving to that eventually just working through a few more technical details.

For backup you optionally can backup the Zimbra zbd file. As you said at anytime if there is a problem you can resync all the data from the server.

Well for me I use the web client day to day and there are features like search/zimlets/etc that are only in the web client. If we could take the web client offline then the need for Outlook would be reduced.

So can you just copy the ZBD file and load it up on another computer or is it like the Exchange server OST file where it will not load on a new profile, I hope I got that right?

I am in Australia and there are a lot of clients using very expensive wireless connections and dialup where the web client is not suitable for continuous use. If broadband was available everywhere including mobile at an affordable price then there would not be a big demand for Outlook connector

I use Windows XP Pro SP2 All updates. I use the latest version of FireFox 1.5.0.3

Internet Explorer 7 B2 does not work but I can understand that

The missing features if you do not use Outlook are in my understanding.

1. No audible sound for reminders. Reminders stay in the background so effectively not visual reminder unless my setup is a problem.
    2. No Tasks.
    3. No Shared Contacts. Well this is not possible with the Online or Outlook connector.
    4. Speed issues due to no hosts in Australia that I know of although it cranks out a lot faster than Outlook Web Access.

Outlook is better with Exchange server but sucks with Outlook Web Access and not as bad but the reverse with Zimbra. Any features I see missing from Zimbra have been discussed as future features.

I like Zimbra for another reason, there are forums and staff monitor and reply in an intelligent and friendly way!

Ian

Web client offline, now that is extremly interesting concept.