Thread: Error using the PST Import Wizard

Default Error using the PST Import Wizard

This isn't a bug report yet - more of a fishing for what might have been wrong. I have some PST files from our old mail system that I am trying to import into Zimbra. Whenever I start the import, before it has written anything to the Zimbra server, I get a very non-helpful error that says ZCS Import Wizard for Outlook ZCS 3.0 has encountered a problem and needs to close. I am running 3.1 GA, and the 3.1.0_GA_327 ZCS Import Wizard. The client machine is a stock standard Windows XP SP3 install, and office 2003 SP2. The only slightly out of the ordinary thing is that my useres are authenticated through Active Directory.
    Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

anything interesting in the m2l.log file?
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

Perhaps the only interesting thing is that there isn't one?

Do you have any other PC's you can try running the import wizard on? Do you actually get far enough to pick a file and setup the import?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

I can set up another PC to try it on (just had the one at the time). It gets past the point of choosing the file - it's only when it actually goes to start importing it dies. It does manage to create the Outlook profile.

the log file should be in the same directory as the executable. it gets created when the process starts. if there is not one, check to make sure you have appropriate permissions in that directory.
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

The log isn't there, so I'll build a new test machine this week and give it a go again. Hopefully this time I'll have more luck!

The problem appears to have arisen because I was running the import wizard off a UNC network share (\\servername\share\..), not a mapped or local drive. It is working fine now when I run it locally with the PST on a mapped network drive! Thanks for the help everyone.

Perhaps we should move the log file to go the temp directory of the current user; that may alleviate this from occuring in the future. Thanks for posting the update and glad its working!
    Sam Khavari