Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Outlook 2007 Crashes After Installing the Connector

Default [SOLVED] Outlook 2007 Crashes After Installing the Connector

Hi,

We are having problems when we install the connector on any computer that has previously had Groupwise 6.5 installed. We are installing version 5.0.12_GA_2789_5.0.2891.12 and are using Outlook 2007. We have the same issue in both XP and Vista.

Basically we uninstall Groupwise, install Outlook 2007, and then install the connector. When we enter the correct info in the "Zimbra Server Configuration Settings" prompt, Outlook crashes as soon as we click OK.

We do not have this problem on machines that have never had Groupwise installed. In fact, the only solution we have found so far is to rebuild each machine. This is not an acceptable solution, because we would have to rebuild hundreds of machines.

We have tried running the Groupwise cleaner, hacking Groupwise out of the registry, deleting all files/folders associated with Groupwise, deleting all mail profiles etc. Nothing seems to work.

It looks like people had the same problem a few years back with Outlook 2003 and the Zimbra connector and eventually a new version of the connector fixed the issue (http://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimbra-...installed.html). Hopefully there will be a fix or workaround very soon or we are going to wind up rebuilding hundreds of computers.

Here is the error...

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: outlook.exe
    Application Version: 12.0.6316.5000
    Application Timestamp: 4833a470
    Fault Module Name: LSLIB32.dll
    Fault Module Version: 5.0.2891.12
    Fault Module Timestamp: 497d638f
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00194575
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    LCID: 1033
    Brand: Office12Crash
    skulcid: 1033

Read our privacy statement:
    Microsoft Online Crash Analysis

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There should be a crash dump in %TEMP%\zco-cores. Please post it.

Here it is...

DMP.zip

Thanks for taking time to look at this.
    Last edited by Eric1081; 04-01-2009 at 11:08 AM.

This is bug 33321, which I have just fixed in 5.0.16. Unfortunately, the fix is just to fix the crash. We now put out an error message telling you that your Outlook installation is probably corrupted, your MAPI32.dll file is bad, and that you should re-install office.

What is happening is that we are trying to determine the location of our .zdb file so that we can name our map file (.idm). We look deep into MAPI for this location, and if MAPI is corrupt, we don't get the right thing back. We were crashing on this check -- now we know there is a problem, and we put out the dialog box and don't crash.

I would love to get to the bottom of why this happens, and figure it out so that users don't have to uninstall and reinstall office, which is a pain. Your Groupwise stuff gives me a clue.

As to what to do, you might try looking for all the versions of MAPI32.dll on your machine both before the problem (pre-Groupwise) and then after and see what changed. Then maybe you can just replace the MAPI32.dll with the old one and you might get lucky.

There is a also a program called FixMAPI which might work.

You also might do a web search, looking for Groupwise and MAPI32.dll. I'm sure there are a ton of hits. Maybe something there will show you how to resolve this without having to reinstall Office.

Let me know what happens. I've wanted to get to the bottom of this for a long time, but have never been able to reproduce it in house.

Thanks

We tried replacing the MAPI32.dll with a good copy. We also tried FixMAPI and neither worked. Re-installing Outlook does not work either. We have completely removed office and hacked it out of the registry and that does not help. Do you have any other suggestions?

I am attaching the most recent .dmp file. Thanks again!

DMP2.zip

So you really removed MAPI32.dll, removed all of office, reinstalled office, and you still get the problem? Then I'm really not sure what is up. It sounds like there are leftover registry issues. When you go to Add Remove programs was everything from Office really gone (like Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies, etc.)?

I'm not sure what else to try. I have heard of this program:

Download Remove Office 2007 1.0 - Clean uninstall of Microsoft Office 2007 - Softpedia

that is supposed to go a good job of cleaning up the registry.

I do know of another user on this forum who said he deleted MAPI32.dll and reinstalled office and this exact problem went away.

After you remove mapi32.dll in %SYSTEM32% you need to replace mapistub.dll also in %SYSTEM32% with right version (you can take from clean Outlook install with the same SPs and updates installed) and after that run fixmapi.exe.
    Regards
    Henry

We have tried all of the above suggestions several times on different computers (with both XP and Vista) and nothing seems to help. Any other ideas?

Edit: It turns out that the solution was something simple. When you install Groupwise, Windows NT Messaging is also installed. After uninstalling this and then reinstalling the connector, everything works fine.

It was not necessary to replace mapi32.dll, reinstall Office, or do any registry hacking on the XP machines we were able to fix. However, in Vista, you have to do an Office repair or uninstall and then reinstall Outlook after uninstalling Windows NT Messaging. Also, on one of the Vista machines, we had to run FixMapi before we could successfully uninstall and reinstall the connector.
    Last edited by Eric1081; 04-03-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks a lot for the update, Eric1081 -- this is great info. I'll keep this post around in case somebody else runs into this (and somebody will).

Default Thank you!

I have been following this topic hoping a solution would be presented. Thank you for posting this information! Several users I support also had GroupWise 6.5 installed and now need Outlook 2007 instead. Removing Windows NT Messaging worked perfectly for the first user I tried, now I just need to try this on other machines.

What a great way to start the week!