Thread: How do I create and share new address book on Zimbra Connector for Outlook

Default How do I create and share new address book on Zimbra Connector for Outlook

We are setting up our Zimbra and uses ZCS. How do we add new address book whose addresses are not under our domain which is viewable by everyone? This is because we have common clients whose addresses are frequently used. I think this is possible on webmail but how do we do/set up it on Outlook without connecting to another LDAP mail server? Hope somebody help me. Thanks in advance.

Just create the address book in a user account, or in a special account created for that purpose. Then share the address book to everyone. (You can share it to a distribution list if you wish.) Finally, use the Outlook command File > Open > Other User's mailbox. (You may have to close/reopen if the mailbox is already being accessed.)

This will give access to the address book but I don't think you'll be able to use it for Outlook's Check Addresses feature.

i just tried this - and when i click the file menu to go to 'open other user's folder' it's greyed out. I have been able to define the share within the zimbra web browser environment and that works fine, it's just the visibility within outlook that seems to be missing. have i missed something dumb in my outlook setup? i downloaded the outlook connecter, installed it, outlook is using the zimbra profile and it seems to be fine - the users have their own folders synced with outlook and can see their own folders just fine. Why not the shares?

Any suggestions most welcome.

File->Open Other User's Mailbox, not other user's folder

in outlook 2007 the options i have are 'other users folder', 'calendar' and 'outlook data folder'. 'other users folder' is greyed out and there is no option for mailbox. I just double checked in 2003 - it's 'other user's folder' in there too, and its greyed out as well.

I have 8 clients with outlook 2007 or 2003 on them and all of them are the same - so I must be missing something dumb in my setup or back on the zimbra server.
    Last edited by Jrtbloke; 11-12-2009 at 09:18 AM.

It sounds like you are missing Zimbra menu items. Do you have things like Help->About Zimbra Connector for Outlook. Under Tools, do you have Zimbra Server Rules, Out of Office Assistant, or Mailbox Quota?

If not, our addin is not loaded, and a lot of things won't work.

What version are you running?

If this is a problem, see bug 40876, and look at comment #5. You can try running these commands to see if you get our menu items.

i figured it out already. you can connect other LDAP server for more address book.

as for question above, i think you do not have outlook connector. install it first then you must now see Global address list.

thanks to fsiegel - this was indeed bug 40876. the notes in comment5 fixed all my XP machines - i have one machine left running vista ultimate and outlook 2007 - is there a different fix for that?

I imagine it would be the same. Are you able to run regsvr32?