Thread: Rules and alerts

Default Rules and alerts

I am able to transfer all my messages, contacts and calender entries but not my rules and alerts from outlook. is there something that i am missing. is this a known bug? i am using the latest outlook connector.

Hey,

What OS and Office you running?

It may be linked to the rule in Outlook that runs as default which wipes all rules on startup, In outlook...

1. In the Navigation Pane (Navigation Pane: The column on the left side of the Outlook window that includes panes such as Shortcuts or Mail and the shortcuts or folders within each pane. Click a folder to show the items in the folder.), click Mail.

2. On the Tools menu, click Rules and Alerts.

3. If you have more than one e-mail account, in the Apply changes to this folder list, click the Inbox you want.

4. In the list of rules, see if any of them refer to deleting on startup im sure its in there somewhere, if it is.... If not the tech guys may want to see your zimbra log.

5. Click Delete.

If you need info on getting a zimbra log look here.

Outlook Troubleshooting Options - Zimbra :: Wiki

Hope that helps

Simon
    Heavy Metal Ftw

the rules and alerts are fine within outlook. its just when i transfer to zimbra there is no option to transfer rules and alerts. its important for me that i get this option working as i need to run this on several machines.

i am running office 2007 on windows xp

Ive just found this in the search results.

Only email messages, calendars, and address books (including distributions lists)are imported from the Outlook server. Other Outlook types, including notes, rules and alerts, and files are not imported.

Maybe worth waiting for an admin to give you his thoughts.....
    Heavy Metal Ftw

so its not possible to transfer rules and alerts. i will wait for an admin but i need a work around this. any suggestions?

You may end up just having tp put all your rules and alerts in manually anyway, so if you go into outlook and go to tools, then zimbra server rules you can remake these rules for your users.

Hope that helps
    Heavy Metal Ftw

I was just hoping that there was an option to import outlook rules and alerts to zimbra server rules. Its alot of work doing over 50 machines with most users if not all having some sort of rules. surely there is some work around this. i am surprised this is not a feature within the outlook zimbra connector.

There are local Outlook rules, and there are Zimbra Server rules, and they are (or can be) different. The Zimbra Server rules are on the server, so they would sync down automatically. As for local Outlook rules, wouldn't you just want to sync those via Outlook? [In Outlook, Tools-> Rules and Alerts, Options, Export Rules. Then you would import via Import Rules].

Remember that to run local Outlook rules, you have to have the registry key HKLM (or HKCU)\Software\Zimbra\EnableLocalRules set to 1