Thread: Problems with initial sync

Default Problems with initial sync

Hi guys (and girls :-) ),

I have a problem with the inital sync of ZCO. It doesn't sync all folders/mails. The mail store is about 2,6GB. I used the ZCSPSTImporter tool to import my .pst files.
    Webmail seems to have all mails and folders correctly, so it is only my Outlook which is out of sync.

- Is it possible to force sync of all mails and folders? (Traversal sync of some kind?)
    - Can one be 100% that Outlook is always 100% identical to Zimbra webmail? (consistent)

What is the difference between using the ZCSPSTImport tool, and to use the Outlook's built-in import tool? I guess the difference is none, and the only difference is that ZCSPSTIimporter is more automatic... correct?

Btw. using 6.0.7.1 on both server and client.

- Michael

The PST Import tool imports an existing PST (Exchange) into ZCS, the Zimbra server. From there, you would use the Outlook connector to sync down to Outlook. Just using the Outlook importer would obviously bring it right to Outlook.

You can do that and import the .pst into Outlook via File->Import and Export, and then, if you've paid for a network license (which it sounds like you have), you could sync that to the server, and it would work. You would want to be careful doing it that way -- that probably works better if you split out individual folders to separate .pst files. I don't recommend taking a whole PST and importing it that way.

The best way to do an initial sync is to create a new profile. After doing that, you can enable logging (just logging and http, not verbose), try the initial sync, shut down Outlook, turn off logging, and send us the log file. It might be pretty big, and your performance on this particular initial sync would suffer because of the logging, but it would give us an idea of what is going on.

If you could identify certain messages that are not there in Outlook, that would help us as well.

I solved it myself... somehow. Zimbra doesn't support "/" in folder names. So that seems to be the problem.
    But one question still remain, how can one be sure that Outlook and Zimbra is syncronized 100%?
    Does ZCO keep some kind of bitmap logfile to know what needs to be synced, etc.?

We do sync requests based on a token, which is a number. We don't really keep any bitmap. We have an internal tool that can tell us if Outlook and ZCS are inconsistent, but that is not released to the outside world. We just assume they are in sync. If you have sync problems, you should get local or server failures, and that would tell you what didn't sync.