Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outlook crashes during send & receive

Default Outlook crashes during send & receive

I have a user who we've migrated his account from a Microsoft exchange to zimbra. After moving his emails we imported his contacts and calander. This was done just a few days ago. Since then his outlook crashes everytime it sends and receives. We deleted his outlook local settings folder and re added his account to outlook multiple times. Each time we did this his outlook worked fine for a day or so, and then would start crashing again. Attached are the log files from a single opening and crashing of outlook.

Zimbra version 6.0.5_GA_2213

zco-20101203T094941.784-OUTLOOK.EXE-248.log

zco-20101203T094947.390-SearchProtocolHost.exe-2060.log

If it crashes, there could be a core dump in the %TEMP%\zco-cores folder. That could tell us more. From the logs, it could be that it is crashing trying to process an edit of a contact made by Outlook. The Zimbra id of that contact is 3674. Perhaps you can find out what this contact is. There are a couple of ways to do that -- one way would be to set Outlook to offline mode so it won't try to sync. Then go into the Support bar in Outlook and hit the Open By Zimbra Id button. That should tell you which contact it is. You could try deleting that and see if it helps.

Also, for logging, it's normally best to enable HTTP logging and disable verbose logging.

Thanks for the reply I will look into deleting that contact and see if that helps. In the meantime here is the crash log that you requested.

zimbra-crash-20101203122214.dmp.txt

Default Logs

Zimbra log file with verbose turned off after deleting id 3674
    Attached Files Attached Files

I believe it's having trouble with the birthday (specifically the timezone of it) on that particular contact. I'm not sure if deleting that contact will help. One thing you might do is to delete the contact in the web client, then re-add it, perhaps after fixing the birthday.

Currently, we have no way of deleting bad change records, so it's possible that this would keep crashing on this profile. Once the contact is fixed, syncing to a new profile would solve the problem.

But deleting it in either Outlook or the web client might work.

If we do determine which contact this was, I would love to get a copy of it (the .msg or something) so I could determine what is causing the crash, and fix it so future users don't run into this.

So I didn't see your last post -- are you saying you deleted the contact, and it still crashes? Then it's possible you'll need a new profile.

If you do have that contact still around (maybe in the trash or something), I would love to see it.

After deleting the contact from the web client and deleting his outlook profile and recreating it the contact was still there. However thanks to you letting me know what to look for i was able to change the contact birthday and anniversary which were both listed as 10/09/4523. He said he had never set any values for either of these fields. I've attached the contact ID 4675. I've just made these changes this morning so hopefully it will work fine now and won't start crashing tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Al Deathe.msg.txt

Ok -- I'll take a look at it. This could have been a result of a bug some time back that caused bad data to get in -- who knows. Hopefully, this will work for you now.

After looking into it more it seems that all of his imported contacts are showing that date for their birthday and anniversary. What causes a problem is that if you edit an existing contact, such as updating their email address, it causes outlook to crash unless you change those two values. I went back and looked at the Contact.csv file I imported and it had 0/0/0000 for the Birthday and Anniversary of all the contacts exported from Microsoft Exchange. Just something to think about changing in the import function.

Thanks. I'll try this and see if I can repro. Sounds like you've found a bug. I'll update this post with the bug number if I determine we have an issue.