Thread: Viewing only delegate can't set mail as read

Default Viewing only delegate can't set mail as read

Hi all,

I'm using ZCS6.0.9 with Outlook connector on outlook 2003SP3.

If I delegate my inbox to another user as "viewer" only, the delegate can read my messages but the status of the messages stays on "unread" until I or any "editor" delegate open it.

Is it possible to change this behaviour, and have any "viewer only" delegate that acces a message make it marked as read?

Thank you very much.

It's possible to change the behavior, but that's not the way our product works. We take the approach that if you're a viewer, you can't change anything in the folder. Our web client behaves the same way. I know that in Exchange, you actually can change from read to unread, but in Zimbra you can't.

I realize that this is kind of a "6 of one, half a dozen of the other" scenario. I'm sure if we changed it to your way, then all kinds of people would scream at us for doing so.

In your case, you would have to Delegate to get the desired effect.

I was not requesting a change in the product :=) , just wondering if there already was kind of a command line parameter that would allow to choose the behavior.

Anyway, Thank you for your reply Fsiegel.

No -- there's no way to change this via the command line or any other user interaction. For this to change, we would have to change the iinternals of the product (or add some kind of new permission in the UI). Given our model, I think what some users do is to have another mail folder. The grantor has a rule that filters the desired messages into that folder, and gives the grantee delegate access. That way he is not sharing is real inbox -- just the messages we wants his delegates to see. Then he could see if the desired messages were read.

Just to be clear -- in the last post, I should have said:

"The grantor has a rule that filters the desired messages into that folder, and gives the grantee delegate access to that folder."