Thread: ZCO deployed by GPO, unable to upgrade

Default ZCO deployed by GPO, unable to upgrade

Hi folks,

i recently deployed ZCO v6.0.8 on all my WINXP workstations using an ActiveDirectory computer GPO, the installation ran just fine.

Now I want to upgrade ZCO to v6.0.9 on all my computers using GPO, but It fails upgrading the software with the following error:

Product: ZCS Connector for Outlook -- Error 1714. The older version of ZCS Connector for Outlook cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. System Error 1638.
    Even if I try to upgrade manually by executing the .msi installer, I get the same error.

I'm also unable to remove the software from "add/remove programs" because it is not listed.

Can anybody help with this?

Thank You

So far I discovered that manually deleting HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion \\Uninstall GUID for ZIMBRA Outlook connector allows me to reinstall ZCO without error.
    The problem is that on every installation I have a different GUID for ZCO software, so I just can't script on it or put a GPO to mass remove this.

If anybody who ran into this could help...

Thank you.

Your script could "brute force" remove the old installation by looking in the registry for all references to ZCS Connector for Outlook, and then delete those keys and values.

You have to be very careful when you do things like that, and I don't really recommend it, but that would work.

If you do that, you also need to make sure you manually remove all the ZCO dlls first, or you will run into problems where you think you're running one version, but you're actually running another.

Again, not for the squeamish.

I had this same issue. After trying many registry scripts, deleting DLLs, etc. I used the OPs suggestion of upgrading to 7.0.1 connector and it upgraded without error. Upgrading our server to 7.0.1 this weekend so it will be fully supported...

Sorry to bring up old issue, but...

I have similar case, deployed 6.0.8 ZCO via GPO, and now need to deploy 6.0.14, but cannot deploy.

You have suggested upgrading to 7.0.1 ZCO, but how can I download just that ZCO? My zimbra admin console will automatically download the ZCO related to it, 6.0.14 in my case.

Going manually to individual machines to edit the registry is not appealing, fo obvious reason.

Any further information would be highly appreciated.

TIA
    -- Version 7.1.4_GA_2555

Hi,

I had to download and install on a test server the requested ZCS version, to access the admin console and download the ZCO msi.

For some versions, the ZCO software can be downloaded from your Zimbra support portal also.

BTW, I suggest you upgrade to ZCO 7.1.3 directly, as many bugs were resolved in the meantime...

Hope that helps.
    PLEASE TEST CAREFULLY BEFORE APPLYING ON PRODUCTION

Quote Originally Posted by momohteks View Post
    Hi,

I had to download and install on a test server the requested ZCS version, to access the admin console and download the ZCO msi.

For some versions, the ZCO software can be downloaded from your Zimbra support portal also.

BTW, I suggest you upgrade to ZCO 7.1.3 directly, as many bugs were resolved in the meantime...

Hope that helps.
    Thank you for your advice...

I guess I will have to create a test server with ZCS 7.
    -- Version 7.1.4_GA_2555

I know this is a tad late, but I ran into a similar issue with our version of the ZCS Connector for Outlook.

We're running Windows 7 64bit systems with Outlook 2010. We have the connector (6.0.5981.7) being installed via a task sequence with SCCM. After running the task sequence successfully on a machine, I noticed that the ZCS connector did not show up in Add/Remove programs, it wouldn't uninstall running a newer version of the connector, and when running msiexec /x with the same .msi used, it would fail to run. After cracking the .msi with an editor, I noticed that many of the registry keys for Software\Zimbra were missing.

I set up a VM with just Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 on it manually, not with our task sequence. After running the ZCS connector manually, it seemed to work fine, shows up in Add/Remove programs etc. From what I've been able to gather, Outlook deployed via a task sequence isn't finishing everything it needs to in order for the connector to install correctly.

I removed the zimbra package from the task sequence and just set it up to install after OS Deployment from SCCM like other specialty software advertisements and it works fine. Hope this helps.

Edit: After removing all Zimbra related registry keys, it allows me to reinstall the connector on machines that it isn't working on.
    Last edited by kmes; 03-09-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Update