Thread: Send Using Email Crashing Excel, Word, Powerpoint

Hybrid View

Default Send Using Email Crashing Excel, Word, Powerpoint

I have a problem that I have been testing for quite some time now. In summary, it seems that whenever I use Excel, PowerPoint or Word (2010 version, 64Bit) and the "Send Using E-Mail" feature, my Office apps crash. Outlook 2010 does not crash but any of the other apps will crash.

I am running on a Dell Latitude E6410, Windows 7 64Bit.
    MS-Office 2010 64Bit version installed.
    I am using Client: 6.06.6058.8
    Server: 6.0.3_GA_1915.UBUNTU8

When the crash occurs, I get this Event Viewer error message:

============
    Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.4756.1000, time stamp: 0x4b9c08e8
    Faulting module name: mspst32.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ba8fe02
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x658eb73d
    Faulting process id: 0x1844
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cbcc82510e250e
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE
    Faulting module path: mspst32.dll
    Report Id: 98cfc482-3875-11e0-8def-ed8ab45958f9
    ============

Now, what is interesting is this. Nothing in my Zimbra debugging indicates a particular issue with the Zimbra Outlook Connector. However, there is one key set of tests that I have done:

a) If I set my default email account to be something like Windows Live Email, I do not get the crashes.
    b) If I remove the Zimbra connector from Outlook and just setup an IMAP account in Outlook, I never get the crashes.
    c) It only seems to be when the Zimbra connector is installed do I get these errors.
    d) I have disabled all add-ins for my other Office Apps.
    e) I have even replicated this problem when starting my other Office Apps in Safe Mode.

Could this be an issue with the Zimbra Connector and 64Bit Office 2010? Notice that mspst32.dll is involved. I have tried doing repairs, uninstalls and reinstalls and even renames of this particular file and nothing is solving the problem.

I am wondering if the Zimbra connector changes or somehow has a bad effect on mspst32.dll or something? I did notice another article related to Access but I am not sure if those errors are related.

Thanks to anyone that has any ideas.
    Jamie

See bug 48276 (and later, 52442, 53912, 56354). If you're using 6.0.6, 48276 wasn't fixed yet, but you can add your executable to the SyncDisabledProcesses registry key. See these threads:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimbra-...peachtree.html

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimbra-...tml#post208046

If you have questions, let me know

Thank you. I did read about those registry fixes but was not sure if my problem was similar.

Should I be running a later client than 6.0.6? I did not think that I could upgrade my client much further until we finish off our upcoming server upgrade.

Up to you what you want to run. Generally, your ZCO version should be the same or earlier than your server. In reality, it generally works with a later ZCO client, but if you have an older server, it's safer to use the older ZCO client. In this case, since a registry entry will fix your bug (I hope), it shouldn't matter. In later versions, we hard coded some of the offending apps so you wouldn't need the registry. In 7.0, we changed it so we don't sync unless you have certain apps (so SyncDisabledProcess changes to SyncEnabledProcesses, which we keep track of).

The main crux of the bug is that these 3rd party apps were syncing when they didn't need to. In earlier versions of ZCO, this wasn't a problem. In later ZCOs, it became a problem, but we realized that these apps shouldn't be syncing anwyay, so we disabled them from doing so.

Thanks of the info. Just so I am clear, what I need to do is this, right?

(if the key does not already exist)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zimbra
    Right click on Zimbra
    New String value
    Name the value SyncDisabledProcesses
    Double click on the value to edit the Value data
    In the Value data box, put the name of your program in there.
    If it's more than one program, enter them separated by semicolons, like MSEXCEL.EXE;POWERPNT.EXE;MSWORD.EXE

In particular, I can verify the application names (make sure it is msexcel.exe or just excel.exe and etc.). But I should be using HKEY_CURRENT_USER right?

That is correct.

Either HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE will work. HKEY_CURRENT_USER is generally a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by fsiegel View Post
    That is correct.

Either HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE will work. HKEY_CURRENT_USER is generally a better idea.
    One key note: I am not running Office 2010 64bit. It is the 32Bit version.

So using EXCEL.EXE AND POWERPNT.EXE seems to be working. WINWORD.EXE (Microsoft Word 2010) is still having the problem except this time it is a slightly different error message. It still seems to be somehow related to Outlook. The only reason I say this is that if I change my default Mail program to be Windows Live Mail everything works fine. Only if I change back to Outlook do I get the error messages. Here is the error this time:

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 14.0.5123.5000, time stamp: 0x4c646b38
    Faulting module name: LSMSUTIL32.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4c6e1d41
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x510432c4
    Faulting process id: 0xabc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cbccb62567ce7a
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE
    Faulting module path: LSMSUTIL32.dll
    Report Id: 6ece0094-38a9-11e0-9e3c-005056c00008
    Last edited by jfmoore; 02-14-2011 at 06:34 PM.