Thread: How do I read these logs?

Hybrid View

Exclamation How do I read these logs?

The title says it all. I have logs from the ZCO and Outlook 2010 that I am trying to find the error in. What am I looking for?

Again, for the second time, in less than a month, I am hunting down sync failures. Last month we support was able to find the errors, but it took a bit. What should I be looking for in these logs which would indicate the error causing the sync to fail?
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

Hopefully, you have Http logging on. [The best logging options are logging and http logging, and nothing else]. Then you can look at the soap traces and see what's happening.

You don't mention whether the sync errors are happening from Zimbra to Outlook, or from Outlook to Zimbra. I'll assume they are from Zimbra to Outlook.

Look for SyncResponse. You don't say whether these are calendar errors or other objects. For calendar errors, GetAppointmentResponse is the thing to look at.

To find a bad message that might have caused a synchronization to stop, look for the last instance of the string X-Zimbra-ItemId:.

There are other things to look for. You can look for "creating local failure" -- that could give you some info. You can look for "unexpected exception" -- you might see something there.

Also, near the beginning of the log, there is a statement:

In Zimbra::Store::StoreContextManager::SyncThreadProc

To the left of that, there will be a number in brackets. That is the ID of the sync thread. You can then look from the back, and see if that number just stops appearing without shutting down correctly -- that could mean some random crash -- although if that happens, you'll probably want to contact us.

We are greatly improving logging in 8.0 -- it will be much easier to read, and there will be many more configuration options.

Hope this helps.