Sorry -- guess I missed the part in your original post where you said it worked on XP. Still would like to see a log file. Once we get this figured out, you should probably get of of 6.0.7, and go back to version 7. 6.0.7 is pretty old stuff -- I'd go with the pre-release 7.1.2, which is on the support portal.
Yes, both her Win 7 PC, which would be installed for her now if not for this issue, and her old Win XP PC both have Office 2007 Pro SP2, and if I've done my job right, the exact same Offices updates are installed on both.
I will try to create a log file and upload it tomorrow morning before she gets started for the day.
I using the latest ZCS and Connector for Outlook 2010. I have a user with many folders and a large mailbox. She is an admin that manages many calendars. Her Outlook hangs with 'Not Responding' when she attempts to open Outlook. Occasionally after multiple reboots and opening and end tasking Outlook, I can occasionally get Outlook to open.
Did you find a solution for your problem?
I should also mention I am using Windows 7. I tried installing Outlook on XP and her account seems to work. It seems this is related to Windows 7.
Your admin sounds a lot like mine.
Occasionally I have been able to get Outlook to open as well, also with multiple restarts and end tasking Outlook.
As yet there's no resolution. She's staying on XP, where Outlook can be opened consistently in the same Office version (2007). Part of the reason she has so many folders is that she’s in HR and has a folder for each employee she’s had email to, from, or about, sometimes only one message per folder. The long term plan involves the installation of a document imaging system. All those messages will be attached to the employees file in that system, and she can delete them from Zimbra. This is months away, however.
Meanwhile, when I can get a few minutes of her time, I’m going to create a log file from her XP machine and upload it here so fsiegel can compare it with the log from her W7 box. Maybe something helpful will turn up there.
I got a few minutes at the XP PC this morning and created the log. It's larger than the log created from the Win7 machine; I had to zip it to stay within the forum's attachment size limit.
So I'm pretty sure that the reason it works for her on the XP machine is not the OS, but the version of Outlook. In the one that works, she uses Outlook 2003, and in the one that doesn't work, she uses Outlook 2007. Because Outlook does a lot of random reads and writes, Microsoft allocates a very large in-memory cache to enhance performance. The more random reads and writes to a file, the better the performance with a larger in-memory cache. It seems that with every subsequent version of Outlook, they increase this cache, so the available memory for users decreases.
I'm not sure if this will help (maybe not), but on her Outlook 2007 machine, you can try this:
Shut down Outlook 2007
Go into regedit
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
Type UseLegacyCacheSize, and then press ENTER.
Right-click UseLegacyCacheSize, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
Start up Outlook 2007 and see if this solves the problem
[If the PST key is not there, you can add it]. This test may not work -- this may only apply to the number of .pst files in a profile, but I'm curious to see if it does. If it doesn't, remember to get rid of this when you're done with the test.
Note that if it does work, Outlook performance may be affected.
Let me know if this makes a difference.
First, my bad for not noticing that Office 2003 was installed on this machine. Turns out this user is one of two in the office that have not yet upgraded to Office 2007.
Unfortunately, the registry change did not help. I did a little research on the UseLegacyCacheSize value and you are correct, it appears to help if there are a large number of PSTs open. I also found a page (Out of memory when opening a pst-file | MSOutlook.info) that states the legacy size referred to is in Outlook 2000, the inference being that 2003 and 2007 have the same size cache.
Yeah -- I figured it was only for multiple PSTs, but I thought it was worth a try. It definitely helps with that in both Outlook 2003 and 2007, as we have experience with this value when opening many PSTs at a time. But it sounds like you shouldn't upgrade this user as long as she has this .zdb file with all the folders, etc.
Was there ever a resolution found on this. I have a user who just started having the same issue. Every time he attempts to start outlook he receives a message "outlook could not start, out of memory/resources...". He is running Win 7 32bit, Office 2007 sp3... HELP