I have several Windows 7 Pro SP1 x86 PCs with Office 2007 Pro SP2 x86. I think the Zimbra version is 7.1.1_GA_3196, based on text I found in ZmSettings.js.

All the PCs are the same Dell Optiplex 380 hardware, and all are cloned from the same image. They use the Outlook connector with Zimbra. This works fine for most, but 90% of the time Outlook can't start on one machine. Outlook seems to start, whacks the hard disk for several seconds, and displays:

"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again."

I have tried both of these Outlook connector installers with the same results:
ZimbraConnectorOLK_7.1.1.6324_x86.msi
ZimbraOlkConnector-6.0.7_GA_2470_6.0.5981.7.msi

Based on the limited info I could find on this error, I have tried the following:

Removed Office 2007 SP2.
Uninstalled Office 2007 altogether and installed Office 2007 RTM.
Used Scanpst.exe on both the .pst and .zdb files. It did find and repair issues in both files, but I think they were the result of Outlook partially opening them before encountering the error.
Started Outlook in safe mode.
Used MSsconfig.exe to start Windows in diagnostic startup mode.
Added the following registry keys:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem]
"SharedMemMaxSize"=dword:800000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Applications\Outlook\SharedMemMaxSize]
"SharedMemMaxSize"=dword:800000
Other info:

On rare occasions, it will start without error after errors have already occurred.

This is more likely to happen when the error occurs, I start Outlook in safe mode on the next go, the error is displayed again, and I restart Outlook again.

Sometimes when restarting after the error, I get this error:"Outlook experienced a serious problem with the Zimbra sharing add-in, do you want to disable the add-in." (Occasionally the it's the Zimbra shut-down add-in instead.)

Sometimes after the error has occurred and I restart the PC, Outlook detects the .zbd file was not closed properly and repairs it, then throws the out of memory error.

When the out of memory error is displayed, occasionally the Zimbra Send/Receive dialog is displayed, the GAL is downloaded and signatures synchronize (2 of 2 tasks) with no errors.

When I dismiss the memory error, the dialog disappears, but occasionally an Outlook process remains in task manager.

This user has a very large .zdb file, just over 3 Gb. The initial sync took over three hours.

The same user has a Windows XP SP3 PC with Office 2007 Pro SP2, and it works properly.

I'm out of things to try. Any one else see this before and know what to do? This is a department head, and from her perspective, doing without Outlook is not an option.