Thread: migration issues with blank profiles

Hybrid View

Default migration issues with blank profiles

We moved some accounts from an old server to a ver7 zimbra server, and had to update their zimbra connector and change the server settings. updated 6.0.5 to 7.0.0

When the old connector was installed it created this no-name profile (seriously, nothing shows up when you go to control panel->mail under profiles) and nothing can be done, normally, to alter this profile. Outlook opens this profile no matter what. How can I change things so that I can pull up any profile of my choosing? Normally to fix this, I create a new user on the PC with fresh outlook settings, but that's not what I want to do this time.

Thanks

You can go into the Mail Applet, do Show Profiles, and change it to prompt instead of always using one.

Quote Originally Posted by fsiegel View Post
    You can go into the Mail Applet, do Show Profiles, and change it to prompt instead of always using one.
    This does not change outlook's behavior. It still goes straight to the no-name profile that the initial installation of the zimbra connector used to create. (in version 6 something I think.)

Well that sounds really messed up. If you tell Outlook to prompt, it should prompt you.

You had said:

"We moved some accounts from an old server to a ver7 zimbra server, and had to update their zimbra connector and change the server settings. updated 6.0.5 to 7.0.0"

How did you move these accounts? Maybe something got hosed.

Did you try going into the registry and trying to remove the profile from there?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cur rentVersion\Windows Message Subsystem\Profiles

If you see a blank one in there, right click on it and delete it.

Of course when messing with the registry, always back it up first (or at least back up that hive).

That's probably exactly what I was looking for, the registry entry for profiles.

and yeah I think it definitely got hosed in the migration. The hostname stayed the same, but the GUID is different so the account can't auth correctly.

I'll get back to you if that helped.

Thanks

Crap.. there was only one profile in there. One which I'd created to try to fix things.

EDIT: so that registry section was not helpful.

OK... Ive gotten to the point at which it will prompt me for an account, but when I try to confirm the settings, it tells me "one or more changes you made cannot be saved. the operation failed."

It still does not prompt for a profile to be used, nor does the mail applet reflect any profile that outlook is actually using.

I assume this happens when you try to configure a profile? Maybe you can post a screen shot or 2, and the ZCO log during profile creation. I assume your credentials are correct?

I havent forgotten about this, but we are having a major conversion right now, and will have to pick this back up later. Thanks for all your help F.

btw... is zco still supported on windows 2k? I feel depressed typing that...

OK I'm getting this same problem on another computer

It runs office 2k3, and has a blank profile

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5688447/emailprofile.png

as you can see, I created a new profile called zimbranew

zimbra logs show this line:

Code:
    20-09-2011 14:17:06.843 [1108]: ZimbraMSProvider::Logon profile(Outlook) cbEntryID(218) flags(0x80000184) iid(null) UIParam(00000000)
    The profile that pulls up is called outlook, but it's not shown in the control panel mail app. and even though "prompt for profile" is enabled, this does not occur. Also, the registry shows the "Outlook" under profiles which is not reflected in the control panel mail app.

and when I put in the correct username and password it reflects the migration of the account since the account ID is different.

is there some way to get outlook to reflect a fresh install with no profiles without completely wiping someone's user profile or creating a fresh windows user profile?