Thread: I need to change the server name on existing profiles via script.

Default I need to change the server name on existing profiles via script.

Good Afternoon!

As the title says I need to be able to run a VB script and change the server name on existing Outlook profiles from "Hostname" to a "FQDN".

In my searching for information it would appear that perhaps the server name is stored in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles. I have looked through all of the binary entries from regedit, some are readable and some are not garbage. At any rate I do not see it in there.

So does anyone know if that info is stored in the registry, where it might be, if the registry profile path are the same for all users, and if it can be edited?

Wow, that was a lot of questions in one sentence, thanks a bunch for any help!

Under the Registry location you mentioned:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

you will see each profile. Under each profile, there are a bunch of GUIDs. In regedit, if you click on a given GUID on the left, you will see a bunch of MAPI properties on the right. Under one of the GUIDs (and you can't tell by the name, obviously), there will be a REG_BINARY property on the right with the Name 001f6640. This means that it's MAPI prop 0x6640 (which is the one we use for Zimbra Server Name), and its type is 001f (PT_UNICODE). The associated value is the hex representation of the Zimbra Server Name.

Happy scripting.

Thank you for the reply. I found this key after I originally posted this, however when i try to edit it from regedit it shows as garbage in the Zimbra profile. When I change it from Outlook profiles it shows OK in the registry.

It's probably really dangerous to change it in this way. I tried messing around with it, and after I changed it on one profile, the profile wouldn't load, and the mail applet would hang when trying to look at the properties that particular profile. There are probably a few places that need changing.