Thread: why does search suck?

Hybrid View

Default why does search suck?

I despise search in outlook. I have the must frustrating time finding messages because searches just simply suck.

Example I was communicating back and forth with this one person about a potential typo on a product. I know we both specifically used the word typo... but even if not assumed that searching for typo would find the "conversation"

Instead, search results for typo only find the messages that I send, not any of the replies from the person I discussed with. If I search the trash for the same thing I still cannot find the message (reply) from the person I was talking too.

If I use zimbra desktop client I can perform the same search and it will find the message I was looking for... and even better it finds the whole conversation so I can see my messages sent and all the replies grouped in a thread.

Is there a way to make outlook search actually not suck??

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMasta View Post
    I despise search in outlook. I have the must frustrating time finding messages because searches just simply suck.

Example I was communicating back and forth with this one person about a potential typo on a product. I know we both specifically used the word typo... but even if not assumed that searching for typo would find the "conversation"

Instead, search results for typo only find the messages that I send, not any of the replies from the person I discussed with. If I search the trash for the same thing I still cannot find the message (reply) from the person I was talking too.

If I use zimbra desktop client I can perform the same search and it will find the message I was looking for... and even better it finds the whole conversation so I can see my messages sent and all the replies grouped in a thread.

Is there a way to make outlook search actually not suck??
    I would very much like an answer to this as well. Searches in Outlook 2013 with ZCO 8.0.3 return empty responses.

Found this answer in another thread, which points to a bug in Bugzilla:

Confirmed. Search indexing doesn't appear to be working correctly with Outlook 2013, so even searching for a partial subject match within the Inbox fails. Workaround for the moment is to remove Outlook from the indexing options..... In Outlook 2013 - File | Options | Search | Indexing Options - uncheck Outlook.

Some people have confirmed the workaround helps.

I tried that but when I hit the modify button, I get an hour glass for about 10 seconds or so and then nothing happens. If I go to Control Panel, Indexing Options, I get the same thing.

I did notice though under results, Current folder was selected instead of all folders ,l and I also checked include messages from deleted folder. So searches return results, just nothing relevant still.

It's not a major drag for me to use zimbra desktop since I usually have that open too for another mail box but it would be nice to use outlook.