Thread: Autocomplete from GAL

Hybrid View

Default Autocomplete from GAL

When I start typing an email to a co-worker, is there a way to get Outlook to autocomplete the email address from the GAL? I know we have this feature turned on in Zimbra....

Hi Moniker,
    Welcome to the forums! EDIT:Just realized you had several posts under your belt, so you're not new.

I have forwarded your question on to our outlook team, and you should receive a response soon.

Sometimes, on weekends, it can take longer to get a response, but I promise, your post will be answered.

Sincerely,
    john
    Last edited by jholder; 02-03-2007 at 10:15 AM.

I also would like this feature in Outlook.
    I did a search on this and I think it is a limitation of Outlook. When auto completing addresses in the to field in a message Outlook uses a separate file called a .NK2. It does not allow you to auto complete from the contacts or GAL. This NK2 file is filled out when you send someone a email so it only has previously sent to contacts in it. It is saved in the users profile under Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and it is named the same as the outlook profile name e.g. zimbra.NK2

There are tools available to edit these files. So you could make a NK2 file with all the GAL emails in it and import it into users NK2 files but this is only a work around and would be pretty static.

http://www.timeatlas.com/mos/Email/O..._AutoComplete/

Is it possible for the Zimbra connector to change this limitation. It would be excellent to be able to auto complete from Gal's

Question Gal

Quote Originally Posted by moniker View Post
    When I start typing an email to a co-worker, is there a way to get Outlook to autocomplete the email address from the GAL? I know we have this feature turned on in Zimbra....
    I know that you can add a "Directory Service" to Outlook, which can really just connect to an LDAP server to grab e-mail addresses. You set it up very similarly to setting up a new e-mail account. I'm not at a machine that has Outlook installed currently, but you may be able to find some sort of temporary solution by going that route.

Unfortunately, I don't think there would be some sort of automated way to set that up.

Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to hearing from the engineers about this.

If you are using the Zimbra Connector for Outlook, name completion against entries in the GAL will occur.

There's documentation around outlook's name completion here:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...496931033.aspx
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

That isn't the case for me. It only auto completes email addresses I have previously typed, it does not search the GAL or my personal contacts list.

Is there a option I am missing to get this to work?

it should work by default. try this:

Tools->Address Book

in the address book window

Tools->Options

What is listed in the list box at the bottom ("When sending mail, check names using these address lists in the following order")?
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

Question Outlook Autocomplete Cache and Zimbra

Hello,

I came across this thread searching for a resolution to a client's issue that is the same. His Autocomplete for addressing his emails suddenly stopped working. It appears that his contacts are gone and so the cache has nothing to go on. The issue is that when you do a search for an *.nk2 file it only brings up the Zimbra Office Data File.

My question is what would cause the contacts to disappear and is there a way to repopulate the contacts?

Thanks