Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BB Desktop Manager Dies when trying to Sync.

Can't you turn it off?

I guess we could disable, but this means a bigger pain for the enterprise though. We'll now have to hit the desktop of all machines and install/configure redirector. I actually had a difficult time disabling it on my machine. When I configured email settings in BDM, I unchecked 'redirect incoming messages'.

I've got another configuration problem now. Everytime I launch BDM, it asks me to setup a new encryption key. When I do, it says 'computer does not know it's messaging address. Either messaging system is not configured, properly, or this is not supported'.

It would be optimal to not install redirector at all. I don't understand why sync with Zimbra OTW depends on it anyway. Wouldn't that be a bug?

-Jeff

Default BB sync

There is no reason that OTW sync with Zimbra should depend on the Redirector. Yes this is a bug, and we are working to figure this out. We just discovered that this was the case. There were lots of people who had this problem, and I never had the problem -- it always worked for me. It turns out that it was because I had the redirector installed.

The redirector doesn't really work anyway. It can't really start up --
    its status is "Verifying Forwarding Address". This is a problem that it seems
    everyone has with the Redirector. Some say it has to do with the MAPI
    profile, although the same thing happened to me with an Exchange profile. I have pretty much tried all the solutions mentioned on the forums with no luck. Many people recommend the Blackberry Mail Connector as an alternative to thd desktop redirector. So since the redirector doesn't work anyway, the encryption key message doesn't really matter. FWIW, in order to get the encryption key generated correctly, you need to override the address in the Desktop Manager -> Email Settings -> Advanced tab.

Bug 13116 has a lot of this information.

So you're right -- it is optimal not to have to install the redirector. Again, we just discovered this, so we haven't yet figured out what it is about the redirector that enables OTW sync to work. The hard part, of course, is it's not our software that's crashing, it's RIM's.

I haven't tried the Blackberry Mail connector yet. I don't know if that would enable us to work.

Hello everyone, I made a fairly significant find in this subject. In order to get my BB to sync with Zimbra, I definitely needed to install the BDM with the Desktop Redirector option. This caused MANY undesired side effects, but I was able to sync my blackberry with this.

In working with this, I ran the BDM installer again on the system, choosing the 'modify' installation option. In moving through the menu, I selected 'BB Internet Services' (not redirector). After finishing the install, the re-director was permanently removed from BDM. My BB still synced with Zimbra after this! So, I have it syncing now, WITHOUT the redirector installed. Excellent!

It appears that it requires the redirector to configure the sync initially, but does not depend on it after that. All undesired side effects of redirector are gone, and I have a functioning sync with my BB. It's a good workaround at this point.

-Jeff

Good find -- thanks!

We had the very same issue and this appears to have fixed our problem as well .. Thanks for the heads up.

BRW

Thanks for posting this work around it works wonderfully.

Default Crash Zimbra + BB Desktop Manager

I use Desktop Manager 4.2.2.14, Outlook 2003 (11.8118.8132) SP2 and ZimbraOlkConnector 4.5.4_GA_7624.5.189.msi.

As soon as I try to connect BDM on my profile the application dies.

I test on several machines and I each time I produce the bug.

The only way I found to transfer my adress book in my BB 8800 is to build a new profile (in POP 3), copy my adress book in the contact fil of that new profile and connect BDM on that profile...

Technology is not going in the right way!

Default Crash Zimbra + BB Desktop Manager

You didn't mention if you had the redirector installed. If you don't, install it. This post has all the info about that.

Default Another approach

Sorry to dig this up- I was searching for how to fix the problem of my BB Desktop software crashing when I tried to synch.

I solved it a different way- import then synch.

Setup: New Blackberry Curve 8310, Desktop Manager 4.2.2.14, using internet service (no BES), Synch with Outlook 2003 and latest Zimbra Outlook Connector

If I tried to configure an initial synch of calendar or contacts via USB, I'd get an immediate crash.

Configuring an initial import from Outlook -> BB worked fine with no crashing. From there, I reconfigured to synch Outlook and BB with no crashing.