MAPI Connector / License fees and feautures
First - i am pretty sure that more than a month ago, when this forum was with just a couple of messages, it was nothing about a commercial version and i'm sure there was a message which says that Outlook MAPI connector will be open source and free too.
Then i didnt believed about that, now i am right.
But thats OK for license fee.
If we face the facts - the most user-friendly and feature-full groupware client is MS Outlook. I am sure it will take more time for open-source MAPI connector ( there are 2 sf projects which have very slow progress, but they advance for sure )
I am investigating Groupware solutions in OS arena for more than 3 years. I am personally installed and analyzed:
-MS Exchange 5.5/2000/2003
- Novell GroupWise 6.5/7.0
- IBM Lotus Notes 6.x/7.0
- Samsung Contact ( based on HP OpenMail )
- Scalix ( based on HP OpenMail )
Didnt mention kolab because it is a such misconception, than i just dont wanna talk about it.
For these analyzes there is a couple and simple critera:
Situation : Terminal Services under Windows ( RDP ) 2000/ 2003
Terminal Services under Linux with Crossover Office and MS Office and Outlook 2000/2003;
- Using MS Outlook like client app with full features as possible and without any local file cashing. ( nor local PST as IBM Lotus Outlook Connector use , nor ost , nor nothing ). Imagine 20 users with local PST files with 1,5 GB each - to start their Outlooks in their terminal session - i can tell you what happens - terminal server just stop responding for 10 minutes and more.
- Minimum memory utilization of MAPI connector - same reason - terminal sessions;
- as feature-rich web client - as it can be. ( You beat here ! )
- Server side on Linux/FreeBSD or any other OpenSource OS.
- Easy backup/recovery tools;
So - if your Outlook connector will be like this - then it will be great.
Now , about the licenses fee:
The problem with license per mbox and not all users need full features:
Scalix ( www.scalix.com ) for example : In their system you may create enterprise or community user. For the first one - you have to pay , for the second one - no - its free, but cannot use MAPI connector to access the server store - just IMAP/POP
And one question:
It will be possible to buy licenses for one year - and to use them for the next years, but without support ?
Or it will be like MS software insurance ?
Sorry for my bad english and for the long letter
.. and keep the good work.