Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outlock connector

Hybrid View

Default Outlock connector

A few questions about the Outlook support

Here you say that support for Outlook will be coming soon. I guess it's some kind of plugin for Outlook. Have you any timeframe when this will be included?

Will the Outlook support ever be in the Open Source version of Zimbra?

At this time there are no plans to open source the Outlook MAPI connector. One reason is that we've used a 3rd party mime parser that we don't have rights to open source.

OK, I have still not found any open source (FOSS) collaboration server that includes an open source (FOSS) Outlook connector. (I'm just curious becuse of the site I'm maintaining)

Default Mapi Open Source

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    At this time there are no plans to open source the Outlook MAPI connector. One reason is that we've used a 3rd party mime parser that we don't have rights to open source.
    I 've found this interesting web page for MAPI connections
    http://www.omesc.com/modules/main_module/

It is a MAPI open Source framework, have u guys taken a look at this for MAPI connections ?

Also I see some people mention the issues with slowness of MAPI connector when it performs local cache.

From a user standpoint, local cache is a good feature that guarantees better performance for mobile users not connected to the enviroment or for users with thosands of emails.
    Some of our users have mailboxes with well over 2 Gb.

It would be nice if the connector could give us the choice ( from server or client) to enable or disable the local caching according to employee needs.

Also I beg !!!! --- a solution for Entourage, Mail or and app on the Mac Side

Kerio offers this for Entourage, Zimbra should be able to offer the same

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aderium
    I 've found this interesting web page for MAPI connections
    http://www.omesc.com/modules/main_module/

It is a MAPI open Source framework, have u guys taken a look at this for MAPI connections ?

Also I see some people mention the issues with slowness of MAPI connector when it performs local cache.

From a user standpoint, local cache is a good feature that guarantees better performance for mobile users not connected to the enviroment or for users with thosands of emails.
    Some of our users have mailboxes with well over 2 Gb.

It would be nice if the connector could give us the choice ( from server or client) to enable or disable the local caching according to employee needs.

Also I beg !!!! --- a solution for Entourage, Mail or and app on the Mac Side

Kerio offers this for Entourage, Zimbra should be able to offer the same

Thanks
    A couple points. First our plugin/connector doesn't talk MAPI. It's native connector that speaks the same SOAP/HTTP(S) that our web client speaks. It works extremely well in cached mode, and in off-line mode. I personally have over 20,000 emails in my INBOX alone and the Outlook connector works just fine. It is sync based (ie only the changes are passed between the Outlook and our server after the initial sync). Sam can provide some more advatages to this apporach.

Better Mac support is coming. We are in an internal alpha with our iSync adaptor. This gives you true two-way sync of caledar and contacts. IMAP is then used for mail. This provides good Mac support with the native apps that ship with your Mac. No need to buy Entourage or the likes.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

We are aware of the Brutus project. Their aim is to provide cross-platform programmatic access to Microsoft Exchang servers. We have no use for this functionality in our ZCS Outlook Connector.

In what scenario would you prefer to have an online mode vs a cached mode? To clarify, cached mode is a two-way replication between and end-users machine and a mailbox on the server.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Better Mac support is coming. We are in an internal alpha with our iSync adaptor. This gives you true two-way sync of caledar and contacts. IMAP is then used for mail. This provides good Mac support with the native apps that ship with your Mac. No need to buy Entourage or the likes.
    Uhmmm... will that allow delegations and Public folders ?

Also it would be nice to see some effort in integration with Open Directory...

Quote Originally Posted by Aderium
    Uhmmm... will that allow delegations and Public folders ?

Also it would be nice to see some effort in integration with Open Directory...
    Not sure yet. We currently have not completed the work on delagated mail and public folders. So iSync working with that is TBD, mostly likly not in the first release of the iSync adaptor.

Open Directory - Yes we heard this a few times before. At present we don't have plans for it, but it's something that we'll revisit if there appears to be a very strong need.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Lightbulb MAPI Connector / License fees and feautures

Hello everyone,
    First - i am pretty sure that more than a month ago, when this forum was with just a couple of messages, it was nothing about a commercial version and i'm sure there was a message which says that Outlook MAPI connector will be open source and free too.

Then i didnt believed about that, now i am right.
    But thats OK for license fee.
    If we face the facts - the most user-friendly and feature-full groupware client is MS Outlook. I am sure it will take more time for open-source MAPI connector ( there are 2 sf projects which have very slow progress, but they advance for sure )

Second,
    I am investigating Groupware solutions in OS arena for more than 3 years. I am personally installed and analyzed:
    -MS Exchange 5.5/2000/2003
    - Novell GroupWise 6.5/7.0
    - IBM Lotus Notes 6.x/7.0
    - Samsung Contact ( based on HP OpenMail )
    - Scalix ( based on HP OpenMail )

Didnt mention kolab because it is a such misconception, than i just dont wanna talk about it.

For these analyzes there is a couple and simple critera:
    Situation : Terminal Services under Windows ( RDP ) 2000/ 2003
    Terminal Services under Linux with Crossover Office and MS Office and Outlook 2000/2003;

Criteria:
    - Using MS Outlook like client app with full features as possible and without any local file cashing. ( nor local PST as IBM Lotus Outlook Connector use , nor ost , nor nothing ). Imagine 20 users with local PST files with 1,5 GB each - to start their Outlooks in their terminal session - i can tell you what happens - terminal server just stop responding for 10 minutes and more.
    - Minimum memory utilization of MAPI connector - same reason - terminal sessions;
    - as feature-rich web client - as it can be. ( You beat here ! )
    - Server side on Linux/FreeBSD or any other OpenSource OS.
    - Easy backup/recovery tools;

So - if your Outlook connector will be like this - then it will be great.

Now , about the licenses fee:
    The problem with license per mbox and not all users need full features:
    Scalix ( www.scalix.com ) for example : In their system you may create enterprise or community user. For the first one - you have to pay , for the second one - no - its free, but cannot use MAPI connector to access the server store - just IMAP/POP

And one question:
    It will be possible to buy licenses for one year - and to use them for the next years, but without support ?
    Or it will be like MS software insurance ?

Sorry for my bad english and for the long letter

.. and keep the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by ivo_toshev
    Hello everyone,
    First - i am pretty sure that more than a month ago, when this forum was with just a couple of messages, it was nothing about a commercial version and i'm sure there was a message which says that Outlook MAPI connector will be open source and free too.

Then i didnt believed about that, now i am right.
    But thats OK for license fee.
    Thanks for the comments, and the criteria for a good Outlook connector. To clear up one specific question: dating back to more than 2 months ago (basically the beginning of the history of these Forums), we stated that the Outlook connector would not be open-sourced. If you search the Forums, you'll find a number of postings & discussions to this effect dating from the first half of September onwards. Here's one early such example that I'm aware of: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showpos...97&postcount=3

Quote Originally Posted by ivo_toshev
    And one question:
    It will be possible to buy licenses for one year - and to use them for the next years, but without support ?
    Or it will be like MS software insurance ?
    The Network Edition (including the Outlook Connector) is an annual subscription which includes not just Support and updates/upgrades, but also the 'right-to-use' the software. So when the term of the subscription lapses, it will need to be renewed, or else the right-to-use also expires with it. Thanks again for the feedback.