Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changes within a shared calendar not visible

I opened a support case and even had a web-meeting session with the support tech. I was able to show him the problem actually happen and they took log information. I haven't heard back from support, but the sales person says the issue was closed because they could not replicate it.

I suspect the issue is caused because 2 of the PCs were upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro and originally had Office 2000 - which was uninstalled and office 2003 was installed. This may be the reason, but it's no excuse.

Unfortunately, my client has nearly missed several court dates (lawyers) so this issue has become unacceptable. They have switched to google calendar for now and are looking for a different solution.

I realize that this issue may be user error (perhaps they aren't syncing enough - though in our testing they sync'd each time) but the users are using outlook as they'd expect it to work. Deleting events is just unacceptable.

We are experiencing the same types of issues with the WEB UI. Evidently refresh is a known bug and supposedly will be fixed in 5.0 (october). I had asked the question if this was the same in outlook connector, since we need to get a shared calendar online, but have not gotten an answer.

I will ask this here. Do you guys know for sure that the outlook connector product currently supports shared calendar with immediate visibility of changes in shared calendars across network? If user A changes, creates, deletes and appointment in user B's calendar, does user B or User C see those changes immediately without some sort of refresh button or sync command being run? If not, this program really is not ready for prime time.

Please let me know as I have now spent 45 days trying to get this thing working at my office, and I do not want to waste anymore time (esp since our office uses outlook 2000 and I don't want to install 2003 for nothing). Frankly, we were really looking forward to the Ajax client. That was the motivating reason for installing Zimbra in the first place. We would have much preferred the WebUI over outlook, but would settle if it worked!

Thanks
    Seth

I posted a reply here this morning and it has not appeared. Perhaps I screwed up.

We are experiencing similar issues with the WEBUI and I need to ask:
    Is the Outlook Connector supporting immediate visibility of changes in shared calendars across the network NOW? This is a deal killer for us. We were really hoping for the webUI, but will settle for the outlook connector for now IF IT WORKS. I don't want to install (esp since we have outlook 2000 across the board and we would have to upgrade to 2003) if this is not currently working.
    I need to know for sure that the current version of Zimbra supports immediate visibility of changes/deletions/additions to a shared calendar across network WITHOUT hitting a refresh button or some other sync command. So I am clear, User A changes/adds/deletes and appt in a shared calendar of User B with edit perms, is it immediately visible to User B and User C, without action on their parts?

Evidently this is a known bug in 4.5.5 (in the WebUI) and is scheduled to be fixed in 5.0 in October. I need to know if this is the same with outlook connector.

Thanks
    Seth

I've gotten shared calendars to work with some pretty mixed results. Stuff is updated "instantly" as soon as a send/receive is done.

I'm gonna quote myself on this one:

I've been playing around with Shared Calendars and have run into the same situation you're having, but only when I didn't do a synch after making the appointment. Say userB changes an appointment, but doesn't resynch, the changes will be in userB's ZDB file, but not on the Zimbra server.

When userB goes back into Outlook and it synchs, userA will be able to synch with the server and get the changes.

Basically you need to send/receive after every change. Shared calendars can do some wacky things, they do seem to work, but honestly I don't know that I even trust them 100%...most problems could be blamed on user error, but I'm not so sure all the time.

Thanks for the response. THis is nuts. If you have a database, and 2 users make a change, the database doesn't "sometimes" update itself. If it is a matter of the client refreshing, there should be some way to set the refresh at the client side, say every 10 seconds or so. There should also be conflict checking for appointments.

To the zimbra guys, I just noticed that the WEBUI constantly moves you back to the start calendar view, rather than the time slot you had moved to, if further "down the screen."

Well, one would think that if you made a change on the calendar, when you hit Save, it would push the update to the calendar out right?

File a bugzilla or something?

Seems to be a real problem with the Connector, not the WebUI. Hopefully we don't have to wait till October for a fix to this...
    Last edited by Guest6400; 06-05-2007 at 08:44 AM.

I don't want to be the jerk here, but is this being looked at? You guys are usually great at at least responding to questions and problems people have.

We are very displeased with the performance of the outlook connector. That being said it may be a M$ issue and our configuration. Our client has Office 2007 and there is nothing we can do about it. The connector supposedly works with 2003. Thus we convinced our clients to allow us to install Outlook 2003 and remove Outlook 2007. That right there could be our problem but we have no way of proving or disproving.

Either way it is not working and we have had to rebuild 4 mailboxes (profiles) in one week and 3 of those were senior level people. Needless to say we have dropping Zimbra for this client and are installing Exchange. We will continue to use Zimbra for other clients as long as they do not need Outlook and for our internal mail.

The help has been hit or miss. Personally I am not all that down on the help but we (as a company) have had several support requests go unacknowledged. Not even a reply. That to me is unacceptable.

Default shared calendar and syncing

sorry for the delayed response.

when a calendar is shared between two users. if a user makes a change, they would have to hit "send/receive" (manual sync) to get that change pushed to the server. then other users would need to manually sync to get that change from the server. there are a couple of ways that you can get around manually syncing. if you send a message, this will force a sync. and if you are working online, outlook will periodically sync.

we are investigating a couple of mechanisms that would remove the need to manually sync to give a more real-time effect. this would include automatically syncing when outlook makes certain types of changes to the store and when changes are made for that mailbox on the server...sort of a notifications engine.

hang tight, we'll have a good solution soon.

I don't think it is the connector. I think it is a problem with the database, as you get the same thing with the WebUI