Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade 4.5.4 to 4.5.5 questions

Default Upgrade 4.5.4 to 4.5.5 questions

We deployed 4.5.4 to our end users. Now we see many bugs were fixed in the 4.5.5 release and we want to upgrade to it. My question is what is the upgrade path for the Zimbra Connectors? Do you have to upgrade the connector 4.5.X upgrade? I would understand a minor or major release number but not quite sure about the release level (or whatever it is called) upgrade.

Also can you merely upgrade the connector or do you have to uninstall the old one and reinstall the new one?

If you have to uninstall/reinstall do you have to recreate the profile everytime or will it upgrade/migrate the previous leftover zdb file?

thanks

Doug

If you upgrade the server to 4.5.5 you will still be able to run the outlook connector 4.5.4 until you upgrade it to 4.5.5 but I would definitely try to upgrade the connector to the latest version. To get the 4.5.5 outlook connector you just need to logon to the admin gui and download it from the download section after you have upgraded the server to 4.5.5

It should let you just do a upgrade, sometimes it is required to uninstall and reinstall but only if something goes wrong. It should not delete the profile. If you are not using the default profile name "Zimbra" it might make a new profile called "Zimbra" but you should be able to just revert back to the other profile you were using.

Hope that makes sense

Paul

Most of it makes sense. I personally have never done the install ( I am not an outlook user ) I administer the main servers and do the system upgrades and unix things if you know what I mean.

Does the plugin (the one already installed in Outlook) have an upgrade option or will it kick into upgrade mode when you try to install the new one on top of it? Hope I am making sense.

When you run the new connector install it should detect that there is a older version on the PC and just upgrade it.

One thing that I do is keep all the old and current connector install files on the same folder on a network folder to install from as it seems to need to look at the old connector files sometimes when you are doing an upgrade. If this is the case and you do not have the old version and it gives an error I would backup the outlook profile from the "mail" app under control panel and uninstall the connector and just install the new one from scratch.

It is usually a painless operation though

Paul

I have a Terminal Server that has approx 20 users running outlook 2003 and using the 4.5.4 connector. At least half of the users have 400+ Meg .zdb files that each took approx 2hrs to have outlook sync with the zimbra server. After I upgrade to 4.5.5 will I need to blow away the zdb files and rebuild the profiles and resync again??

I have similar questions.

1) It sounds like you should be able to use the existing profile after the upgrade from 4.5.4 to 4.5.5. I assuming that means that the structure/format of the zdb file is the same and that a full rebuild of the zdb file is not necessary?

2) Assuming the connector upgrade goes smoothly and it does create a Zimbra default profile AND delete that default profile reuse the existing is there anything else that needs to be done to get things in sync?

thanks

Doug

It should not blow away your profile. Not sure about the new connector 4.5.5 but the older ones did make a outlook profile called "Zimbra" when you installed them if you did not already have a profile called that. All you had to do was make your other outlook profile the default again and all was good. If you do use the default profile name of Zimbra then it will do the upgrade and you should not have to do anything else.

I also have a bit over 20 users on a terminal server with outlook/Zimbra setup and probably another 40 other users setup on Outlook/Zimbra. I have very rarely had any problems with the upgrade process. In my above posts I was just pointing out some of the issues I have seen so you can be aware of them.

If you are worried you can always do a backup of the default outlook profile by using the copy command in the profile setup.

Upgrading Outlook 2007 to 4.5.5 DOES NOT WORK! Outlook will not start after the upgrade.

Followed the same process as the install for 4.5.4 from here
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...?t=5409&page=2

Is there a different dll or something that needs to be registered for 4.5.5?

What error Outlook shows after upgrade?
    Regards
    Henry

The standard "Outlook has encountered an error and needs to shut down" message. Outlook starts, begins to load then errors and shuts down.