Thread: Non-Administraters able to delete from the GAL...

Default Non-Administraters able to delete from the GAL...

We just rolled out Zimbra, and as this is somewhat of a troublesome thing for me.

I installed Zimbra Connector on one employee's computer, got it all setup.

He was curious as he browsed through the GAL using the 'To' Field option when Creating a new email, and asked a simple question I hadn't thought about.

Can he delete names from the GAL?

Well it seems he can. It affects all users.

It does not of course delete the user, or delete the alias, as we deleted two alias's in this.

However it does remove them from my GAL, as from his also.

I admit, I don't mind him removing it from his own, but I am perplexed about it affecting other users.

Quite frankly this is a bad thing, is there something I can do in openldap to change this?

Or is there some configuration option I missed? I went over as much as I could, and don't see anything in the manual's regarding this.

I assume this could be in Administrator, and other things, however it was detected in the Outlook Connector so I posted it here.

Thanks!

From ZCO it is *not* possible to create/edit/delete entries in the GAL *on the server*. Changes made to the entries displayed in outlook are purely local and not pushed to the server. If you delete entries in the GAL displayed in outlook then do tools->send/receive->update global address list you'll see the deleted entries reappear.
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    From ZCO it is *not* possible to create/edit/delete entries in the GAL *on the server*. Changes made to the entries displayed in outlook are purely local and not pushed to the server. If you delete entries in the GAL displayed in outlook then do tools->send/receive->update global address list you'll see the deleted entries reappear.
    I wish that was the case,

I closed his Outlook, then logged into the webmail, and could not find that entry in the GAL Any Longer.

Further more, that employee has seen fit to clean up the GAL.

Using Thunderbird to use LDAP, I can find alias's still, for example, but I cannot find them in the Webmail GAL.

The entry's appeared to be gone after rebooted, but I will double check on that tomorrow to make sure they did not re-appear on his computer.

you'll need to contact support@zimbra.com
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

I tested this with current Outlook Connector and he is correct.....

It does not delete the user or in my case a distribution list from the Zimbra ldap database, but does delete it out of Outlook.

I also did a "Update Global Address List" and closed/reopened Outlook....but the distribution list does not show in my personal address store or GAL...
    Clay