Thread: [SOLVED] E-Mail Trash Policy

Hybrid View

Post [SOLVED] E-Mail Trash Policy

In Zimbra is there anyway to set up a policy so even if a message is put in the trash by a user, it will not remove that message from that accounts mailbox for at least a 24 hour period? Issue is for a 'basic' archiving solution I have in mind is to do a full Zimbra backup once a night to another box, archive that then to tape. I want to be able to include 'deleted' e-mails.
    Thanks!

I assume you know about the "advanced" archiving solution... but that requires paying for network edition. As does point-in-time backup and restore using archived redologs.

We just tell people never to empty their trash, and set a retention policy so that Zimbra empties old trash automatically (may require "zmprov mcf zimbraMailPurgeSleepInterval 1h"... see the release notes or search forums for zimbraMailPurgeSleepInterval ). We don't have a way to *enforce* the non-emptying of trash, though.

Rich,
    Yep, very possibly will go that direction (Network Version) in the future for that and BlackBerry support - but for now since we have no money in budget..........................:-<
    I will look into the 'zimbraMailPurgeSleepInterval'.
    Thanks!

we are moving to zimbra from exchange/outlook and from an admin perspective, when trash was deleted, we had to wait for a set number of days, which was normally 7 (unless we set lower) to purge the deleted emails. From an archiving perspective, the email creator is the owner of the contents, so if zimbra trashes it on the same day, that might be good in 2 ways: less storage, and no chance of recovery if litigation ever happened. I did not know that once deleted, it would be gone (from prior exchange admin perspective). We are network clients, so the backup will help, but is there any value to save what is deleted? It means less on the server (unless an accidental delete, which seems to take a few steps). Any thoughts? Each admin faces different rules, so I understand where you are coming from.

Jason,
    It in my understanding that - at least in Indiana - that to be compliant in legal tearms with retaining electronic records that I need to retain even the 'trash' e-mail that a person deletes from their account. I am no lawyer, but this is the message that I am hearing from those in the Legal community in this state in the conference prezos I have seen in this most confusing subject.
    Last edited by r8escjohn; 06-20-2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling errors