Thread: Sending Adminstrative Alerts

Hybrid View

Default Sending Adminstrative Alerts

Hello everyone,

i am testing zimbra to install it as a mail solution for my college. i have few questions:
    1. How can i send administrative alerts to everyone:
    can i send a single mail to all users through the administrative console?
    2.can i put up a message somewhere on the webpages, so that is clearly visible to everyone?
    3. we have to create domains for every department, so at the login page, can a drop down menu be placed, so that the user is not required to type his/her complete address.
    4. can i create mailing lists to which only certain users can mail?
    that is i create a list of all the students of a class and only the faculty is allowed to mail them
    5. i have read abt the mass user addition script, but can i also add their details when using that script
    6. currently we use qmail/courier-imap/vpopmail on RHEL 4, can i transfer existing mails and accounts?

hope to get my queries solved, the zimbra suite is an excellent application and i would like to implement it.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

All of these questions are answered either on the main website, or here in the forums.

i tried searching on the forum as well as website, but could not get conclusive answers, so thought asking them would be a better idea

1. You have to create a distribution list with everybody in

2. Not easily, you'll have to change the template/skin. You can develop a Zimlet showing a message too.

3. No drop down list possible (unless you develop what is needed). If you use the VirtualHost feature of Zimbra, using the correct URL to log in will allow your users not to type their full eMail address.

4. No with Zimbra, do a search in the forum, you'll find information on implementing mailman to handle the distribution lists (can be used for answer 1. too).

5. Yes

6. If you're not using the LDAP or mysql version of vpopmail, you're like me, ie stuck...

thanks a lot for the answers...

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    1. You have to create a distribution list with everybody in
    i thought that was the closest, just that the list will be required to updated everytime before sending the alerts, i will do that

2. Not easily, you'll have to change the template/skin. You can develop a Zimlet showing a message too.
    hacking the skin will require to hack it everytime zimbra is updates, but it seems ok
    i think such a feature should be available

3. No drop down list possible (unless you develop what is needed). If you use the VirtualHost feature of Zimbra, using the correct URL to log in will allow your users not to type their full eMail address.
    can a single virtualhost do for all different domain??
    for ex. mail.localhost.com will work for dn1.localhost.com,dn2.localhost.com, etc..

4. No with Zimbra, do a search in the forum, you'll find information on implementing mailman to handle the distribution lists (can be used for answer 1. too).
    this is not that serious requirement, i will try mailman though

5. Yes
    thanks

6. If you're not using the LDAP or mysql version of vpopmail, you're like me, ie stuck...
    yes i am using vpasswd based system for vpop , guess i will have to convert it to mysql first and then transfer the accounts

Quote Originally Posted by technoteen View Post
    can a single virtualhost do for all different domain?? for ex. mail.localhost.com will work for dn1.localhost.com,dn2.localhost.com, etc..
    If you use single virtualhost, it's not virtualhosts anymore 8)
    Check the Zimbra's virtualhost feature (in the admin UI and in the doc) to understand clearly how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by technoteen View Post
    yes i am using vpasswd based system for vpop , guess i will have to convert it to mysql first and then transfer the accounts
    Actually the main problem is about the passwords : if you don't know the users passwords in vpopmail, you can not read their mailbox (so impossible to imapsync them to Zimbra).
    Unless you force a password change, then create their account in Zimbra with a forced password, imapsync the data and get Zimbra to ask for "password change on first use"...

mySQL (or LDAP) will help mainly on getting a "clean" (scriptable) users list and aliases list.

If you do it, please contribute to the wiki with an article on "vpopmail to Zimbra migration".