Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone IMAP settup problem

Default iPhone IMAP settup problem

After entering the IMAP setup information, I get a message saying there was no response from the server. I have checked all settings/advanced settings for mail and everything appears to be correct. We are using the default TCP port settings, and all other mobile devices (non-iPhone) have no issues connecting. HELP!!!! We are using zimbra version 4.5.6

How are the other devices connecting? IMAP/POP/Zimbra Mobile?
    Do you have SSL/TLS enabled?
    Do you have the latest iPhone update?
    Is there anything in the logs that indicate that the iphone is connecting to the server?

-All of our other devices (blackberry's, and samsung black jacks) are set up for IMAP connections.
    -SSL is turned off
    -The iphone is up to date
    -The logs dont seem to show anything other then normal mail traffic for this user... however i do see the following entries repeating over and over while the phone says "verifying IMAP setting information". Im not sure if they are related or not.

LOG ENTRIES:

Aug 22 14:04:55 zimbra-mail-server slapd[1362]: <= bdb_equality_candidates: (zimbraDomainType) index_param failed (18)\n
    Aug 22 14:04:55 zimbra-mail-server slapd[1362]: <= bdb_equality_candidates: (zimbraMailStatus) index_param failed (18)\n
    Aug 22 14:04:55 zimbra-mail-server slapd[1362]: <= bdb_equality_candidates: (zimbraDomainType) index_param failed (18)\n
    Aug 22 14:04:55 zimbra-mail-server slapd[1362]: <= bdb_equality_candidates: (zimbraMailStatus) index_param failed (18)\n

This is the exact message I get on the phone after 10-15min of being stuck at "verifying IMAP account settings" I have checked all the things mentioned in the message and they are correct.

Error message:
    SMTP account verification failed.
    The SMTP server "mailserver.domain.net" is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the "Outgoing Mail Server" field.

Have you tried restoring the phone?
    We have had instances where the phone itself had issues.

If there's nothing in the logs, then the phone isn't connecting to the server.
    Several of us (including myself) have iPhones.

Also, what version are you running of Zimbra?

I am running Zimbra version 4.5.6. I have not tried whipping the phone, but I guess that will be the next step. Are the log entries that i posted that are all labeled as "failed" possibly related to this issue??

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypse View Post
    I am running Zimbra version 4.5.6. I have not tried whipping the phone, but I guess that will be the next step. Are the log entries that i posted that are all labeled as "failed" possibly related to this issue??
    Nope. That's an LDAP thing because we left the logging level too high. It's safe to ignore.

The real key is your server logs. Each time any type of client tries to connect, we log it. . whether it succeeds or not. If there's nothing in the logs, then the phone isn't connecting. . and we know it works because your other clients connect.

john

Are you running the imapproxy service? Is this a single-node installation? You can see a trace of all imap traffic on the server in /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log by adding this line at the end of /opt/zimbra/conf/log4j.properties:

log4j.logger.zimbra.imap=DEBUG

I have still had no success connecting to the IMAP server (as explained above), however, I stumbled across a new detail to this issue. When connecting using a Wi-Fi connection, I am successful when connecting to the zimbra server. The only issue is that my outgoing test messages all got stuck in the outbox. When I turn off WiFi, the connection does not work. Any suggestions???

To clarify, if you connect the iphone to a wifi access point on the lan, you can connect to zimbra; but if you connect the iphone to an edge network, then you cant connect to your zimbra?

If that is the case, I'd suggest that both the phone and the server are configured correct and it may be an issue with the ISP filtering traffic or your firewall?