Thread: Free push - after emoze, consilient

Hybrid View

Exclamation Free push - after emoze, consilient

Hi,
    I posted a thread on emoze some time ago.

Emoze was a free push service that you can use with gmail, gmail apps, using their servers or any other email using an always on computer with outlook.

Now you have consilient
    Free Mobile Push Email - Consilient Push
    free push again, but this time even for imap and pop, so zimbra :-)

It supports most of the phones. Mine not very well though (htc p3300 with wm6 touch).

I never heard about this french guy with his funambol and zimbra....

I have the feeling that push free services are going to pop up from everywhere, nevertheless as a Open Source user that does not want to go for a hosted zimbra, it is a petty that I cannot install a layer in my server to push email myself...

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sturgis View Post
    I have the feeling that push free services are going to pop up from everywhere, nevertheless as a Open Source user that does not want to go for a hosted zimbra, it is a petty that I cannot install a layer in my server to push email myself...
    You can if you use Funambol, it's Open Source and you can contribute - read this thread.

[edit]Actually, IMAP idle will give you instant email notification on your phone - doesn't that work for you?
    Last edited by phoenix; 03-07-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Actually, IMAP idle will give you instant email notification on your phone - doesn't that work for you?
    I read about IMAP idle, but I don't understand. If I configure my phone to go an check IMAP it is pulling the email, there is no push there.
    Sorry for my ignorance, but how can you push it? You have to configure it to go an pull the email every x minutes right?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

No, you require an 'always on' connection that maintains a link to your server. I use ChatterEmail on a Treo 650 and that gives an instant email on my phone mail app - this is with my own Zimbra OSS server. You get the same functionality in current 2.x releases of Thunderbird if you uncheck all the timer mail checks, once a message is received it will appear in Thunderbird. The catch here (two actually) is that you need a) an unlimited phone plan and b) email software (on the phone) that works with IMAP idle.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks phoenix,

I will investigate on email clients for my wm6 htc phone that support IMAP-idle

Thanks!!

I used to use Chatteremail on my Palm OS phones myself before I started using the Mobile add-on for Zimbra and EAS. IMAP idle works very well for instant email delivery. The only IMAP-IDLE client for Windows Mobile that I'm aware of is called Flexmail. They have a trial, so you might want to give it a whirl.

Welcome to WebIS.net - FlexMail 2007
    Release 6.0.2_GA_1912.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition + Mobile Option
    Activesync with Moto Q9C, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pro, & Palm Pre