Thread: iphone wirelessly schedule a meeting?

Default iphone wirelessly schedule a meeting?

My boss wants to know if he can sit in a conference and using his iphone (that he's buying next month) schedule a meeting?

I have looked at the zimbra 'mobile' web interface, but you cannot schedule any appointments.

If I can wirelessly (over the air) schedule a meeting, without some type of USB cable-- what do I need? Any special server software or licensing?

Thanks in advance,
    -Aaron

Currently, no. (unless the funamobl method allows this) However, the exchange intergration offered in the upcoming iphone firmware update will allow this.

There's the apple video that shows this sort of thing in action. It's using a Microsoft Exchange server, but Zimbra say that with zimbra mobile enabled for the user account, Zimbra will 'pretend' to be exchange and it will "Just Work". The video can be found here: Apple - QuickTime - Apple March 6 Event

I don't have an iPhone but doesn't the html web interface work on the iPhone?

Thank you Dirk for the clear information.

Is there any phone out there that can wirelessly schedule calendar appointments without buying into a BlackBerry Server or Funambol?

-Aaron

I can do it on my Moto Q9 (Windows Mobile 6), and also on my Treo's (Palm OS).

You need Exchange Active Sync protocol support which the iPhone does not currently support, but (as somebody said above) this was annouced by Apple in upcoming iPhone firmware.
    Release 6.0.2_GA_1912.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition + Mobile Option
    Activesync with Moto Q9C, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pro, & Palm Pre

As mentioned in comment #3 you can use https://mail.example.com/h/ from an iPhone today. It's rather squeezed, but functional. That's more of an act of desperation, though... proper support should be coming in June.

Re comment #2, it's not just Zimbra that cares about iPhone ActiveSync working with Zimbra. If you look at Apple - iPhone - Enterprise - Apply you'll see several versions of Exchange, Lotus Domino, Kerio, and Zimbra as things Apple considers worth participating in their beta.

There are some RFEs for allowing creation of contacts & appointments in the /m/ interface, but given that better options are available or soon-to-be-available on pretty much all devices, I wouldn't prioritize it.

ActiveSync is a Zimbra NE-only feature... but if you can afford an iPhone, you can afford NE.