Thread: Staying Logged in on an iPhone

Default Staying Logged in on an iPhone

Love Zimbra mobile,

but until we can find out how to keep people logged in indefinitely it's not going to work for our users.

So how is this done? Some sort of special URL? Some server-level setting just for the Zimbra mobile version?

How?

Hi, I'm not sure what you are asking? Do you mean the Zimbra Mobile webmail page, or the Network Edition module Zimbra Mobile that allows OTASync ?

I'm thinking you mean the webpage as the iphone does not support exchange just yet, so if I'm right, you mean when you launch Safari on the iphone and point it at http://mail.domain.tld/zimbra/m/ (iirc) you get the login box and you want a way to have the phone remember your username & password and go right past the login box.

Hmm. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not possible.
    As far as I know, the Safari browser is closed when you navigate away from it (to launch something else on the phone) which would mean that a new session ID is created when you reload, which would log you out of the client.

If there was a way to pass the username & password to the server within the URL, then that could work but I think I remember trying something like this a long time ago and found it couldnt be done.

Others may have a suggestion, but I have a hunch that what you ask cannot be achieved.

iPhone will be able to do true "Zimbra Mobile" sync (OTA) with firmware 2.0 (available end of june).

Default Drat!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Hi, I'm not sure what you are asking? Do you mean the Zimbra Mobile webmail page, or the Network Edition module Zimbra Mobile that allows OTASync ?

I'm thinking you mean the webpage as the iphone does not support exchange just yet, so if I'm right, you mean when you launch Safari on the iphone and point it at http://mail.domain.tld/zimbra/m/ (iirc) you get the login box and you want a way to have the phone remember your username & password and go right past the login box.

Hmm. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not possible.
    As far as I know, the Safari browser is closed when you navigate away from it (to launch something else on the phone) which would mean that a new session ID is created when you reload, which would log you out of the client.

If there was a way to pass the username & password to the server within the URL, then that could work but I think I remember trying something like this a long time ago and found it couldnt be done.

Others may have a suggestion, but I have a hunch that what you ask cannot be achieved.
    That's bad news. The Zimbra mobile web page is fantasitic for iPhone users, but no one want to keep fingering in their password and username.

Like klug says, best to just wait it out until 2.0 is released.
    You can access mail by IMAP while you wait of course.

Quote Originally Posted by sourcehound View Post
    That's bad news. The Zimbra mobile web page is fantasitic for iPhone users, but no one want to keep fingering in their password and username.
    If you click on remember username and login it keeps you logged for the period specified in the administrator for regular sessions

There could be an issue with some of the jailbroken devices with storage of the cookie

you need to change owner of /var/mobile/Library/Safary/cookies.plist to
    mobile instead of root
    doing so will keep your cookie regularly and will keep automatic authentication

Ciao
    AleX