Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palm Centro?

Default Palm Centro?

I am looking into getting Sprint based Palm Centros. Does anyone know if this will/will not work with Zimbra mobile?
    Also, (yes a little off topic does anyone know how easily they work with Ubuntu Linux for the data hookup?
    Thanks
    Derek

I have people with Palm 755p on my server and they work. I personally have had issues with mail delivery as it arrives on Palm OS. I've had issues with 700p's and 755p's. I even tried the updated version of Versamail from the Centro on one of my 755p's and it did not solve my problem. I currently have the Palm OS phone syncing every 15min, and it seems to work great for my users. I was a Palm OS fan, until I started switching my Palm's out for Moto Q9's and I have to say that the Windows OS seems to work a lot better with Zimbra mobile. I actually use a Q9 with Windows Mobile 6.0 and it's been flawless. It seems like Palm's activesync implementation is not quite right.

So if I were going to buy new phones to work with Zimbra they would be Windows Mobile 5.0 or 6.0 (I have not tested 6.1 yet).
    Release 6.0.2_GA_1912.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition + Mobile Option
    Activesync with Moto Q9C, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pro, & Palm Pre

Hmm, I already ordered 3 Centros. I figured that since Palm has the best sync on Linux (from what I have heard), that it would be a good way to go with Zimbra as well. Any other tidbits you can share with me on getting thigns to work?

Zimbra uses Microsoft's Activesync technology to sync email,calendar, & addressbook. Palm licensed Activesync to include with their Versamail application. It works, but like I said not very well. My experince with Palm and Activesync was not very good, and using Windows Mobile is works flawlessly. Maybe your experience will be different.
    Release 6.0.2_GA_1912.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition + Mobile Option
    Activesync with Moto Q9C, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pro, & Palm Pre

Default Centro

Keep us updated. I would like to see how well zimbra activesync works with Palm OS.

Thanks!

Here is a link on how to do it on the phone side for the Centro:
    Setting up an Exchange ActiveSync (Outlook) email account on a Centro

On the Zimbra side you need to install a commercial cert (well you don't HAVE to, but it is a lot more work to go through and doing a desktop sync and upload to get your self signed cert to work. I would not want to walk someone through that over the phone.)

After you have your cert, you just plug in your username and password, mail server address and that is about it. So far all of my calendar, email and contacts sync up fine. I will post back in a few weeks with more thoughts after having used it while I go on vacation

I am working on getting Zimbra deployed on a soon to be new network at my church. I thought this would be best for all users, I am using the Community Build to save on cost. I just found out last night that our Associate Pastor has a Palm Centro. Will this work with syncing on the Community Build or do I have to move up to one of the paid versions? If this is the case this will be a problem as I play on deploying with Ubuntu 8.04.

Dagar mentioned something about needing a Commercial License to get this to work can you explain more on this please?

Thanks,
    Albert

Hi Albert,

A commercial certificate is recommended when syncing using activesync because the domain would be verified by a third party. When it's a self generated certificate, you normally need to upload the cert to each mobile device.

You will need the network edition plus zimbra mobile to use activesync. The open source does have the java client for mobile phones.

There should be a discount for non profit orgs.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonypham View Post
    Hi Albert,

A commercial certificate is recommended when syncing using activesync because the domain would be verified by a third party. When it's a self generated certificate, you normally need to upload the cert to each mobile device.

You will need the network edition plus zimbra mobile to use activesync. The open source does have the java client for mobile phones.

There should be a discount for non profit orgs.

Thank you Anthony, the only problem with this is that Ubuntu 8.04 isn't supported in the Network Edition yet. Since there is only 1 device I don't have a problem with using a self generated cert. Does the Centro have capability of using the Java version?

Thanks,
    Albert

I'm not too sure.

You can try the hosted demo. They should have the java edition in there. You can also test activesync too.

http://www.zimbra.com/products/hosted_demo.php

Sorry!