Thread: No "replied-to" icon using Zimbra Mobile on iPod Touch

Default No "replied-to" icon using Zimbra Mobile on iPod Touch

Hi,

I successfully set up an iPod Touch to use Zimbra Mobile (ActiveSync). However, when I reply to a message on the iPod Touch it doesn't mark the original message with the little "replied-to" icon in Zimbra Desktop or in the Zimbra web client. I checked my sent messages folder and the email I sent from the iPod shows up there, so I know it got sent. It's just the little indication that the message was replied to that's missing.

Any ideas what causes this little glitch?

Thanks.

Well, the problem is when replying from iPhone it uses SendMail instead of SmartReply/SmartForward. As a result, our server has no way of knowing which message iPhone is replying, or even the message being sent is a reply at all.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, this is an implementation issue on the iPhone then? If so, any indications that this "bug" might be fixed in the future?

I wouldn't go that far as calling it a bug in iphone implementation. iphone chooses to use SendMail command for sending any messages, which is perfectly legitimate.

The SmartReply/SmartForward are designed mainly for low bandwidth phones to avoid retransmitting message downloaded from server.

I would consider this simply a mobile protocol deficiency. But I'll check if there can be a workaround in the future versions of iphone software.

I checked in with a few friends and colleagues that are using iPhone 3G with ActiveSync to Exchange. They claim that if they reply to an email from their iPhones, Outlook marks and shows the message as replied to. If this is an iPhone/SendMail issue, then why does it work in Exchange/Outlook but not in Zimbra? Do you know if this will be addressed in the 5.0.9 release with iPhone 3G GA?

5.0.9 development is done. please file a bug and we'll see if other users can independently verify the exchange behavior. thanks!

Could a workaround be developed for this? Even in iPhone OS 3.0, this problem persists. Not many votes for the bug below yet, though.

Bug 30615 – No "replied-to" icon in Zimbra using Zimbra Mobile on iPhone/iPod Touch